Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Received medical clearance for HA....now what?!

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 3:44 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 186 Total Views

My son is turning 6 in a week, and just started Kindergarten.  He has been in Early Childhood for the past three years and they were using a desktop FM system, but had a lot of behavior issues with it.

We just had a new visit to the audiologist and he is remaining 90% deaf in his right ear, with 100% in his left.  We received medical clearance for a hearing aid, but now I'm lost.

I know he needs this, most specially for at school.  He is such a good kid, but has issues with yelling and frustration which I think are highly linked to his hearing deficiency. 

We have medical assistance with a Dean HMO, but I really have no idea where we go from here to actually GET a hearing aid and his audiologist is so hard to make contact with (there's only one pediatric audiology office in our area).

Advice? Experiences?  Help!!!!  I am having my second son in November and would really like to have this set up before dealing with a new baby too!!!!

by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
gigi-rn
by Member on Sep. 12, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Im sorry this is all  happening but you are right  to be concerned especially with school.  So the first thing I would do is call the audiologist.  With understanding that they are the only one, but they need to understand you have to do what is best for your child.  If all else fails and you cant get them to call back I would go to the office and explain your concerns.  So what happens now is they get it work out with insurance company how much they will pay.  You can do this yourself before contacting the audiologist and let them know what the insurance company told you and who you spoke with.  They usually set it up and order the hearing aid for you and will have to make an appointment to get fitted for earmolds, so you can do that too. You will probably want the school district to order a FM system to work with the new hearing aids.  The audiologist will tell you which one, but in the mean time you want to get a meeting with the child study team and give them a heads up to what is going on. Also you may want to start asking about Teacher of the deaf to help too.  My oldest is in kindergarten this year and has TOD 40 minutes a day, we use total communicaiton so we have an interpreter for every period except lunch, she also has speech 3 times a week.  But dont get overwhelmed with that the first thing you need is to get the hearing aids.  Feel free to email me if you have any questions.  Its sometimes hard to sit and wait but they may just be figuring out the money part, just le tthem know how concered you are.  Also if you seem to be in an area that doesnt have resources reach out to deaf school they may have something by you and you may not even know about it.  We are in NJ and there really isnt many things here but we have found more through the deaf school:)  Good luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)