Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are you doing to go green?

Posted by   + Show Post

Post your personal tips or ideas in this tread.

Best Wishes,  Scarlet
Go green!  Replace harsh chemicals in your house and medicine cabinet with organic essential oils, nutritional supplements, and personal care.   Shop with me at http://
www.youngliving.org/scarlet

by on Jun. 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM
Replies (11-18):
designerdiva
by New Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:42 AM

i'm beginning to use the "green Works products", looking into a steam mop and possibly making my own natural cleaners

Gecko85
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2010 at 12:07 AM
I am slowly phasing out non natural cleaners. Two years ago DH and I bought all kinds of clenaing products at Costco and we still have not run out of all of them, but as we do I am replacing them with greener products. I am a big fan of seventh generation. We replaced all our lightbulbs with energy efficent ones. When DD is a little older we won't keep the air on so high (I am afraid of SIDS so I keep it at about 67 right now :( We cloth diaper and I breastfeed. We used to buy all organic food, but to be honest we just can't afford that. I drink hemp milk instead of cows milk. I eat very little beef to begin with. I also buy biodegradable cat litter and my trash bags are made of mostly recycled plastic. We really should recycle. I never get out to the center. I don't really have an excuse. I hope to eventually build an earth ship.
crazymomof4787
by on Oct. 24, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Quoting BarbWAHM:

This year I invested in a laptop lunchbox system for DS (1st grade) to try and minimize my use of plastic bags - so far he loves his new lunchbox system. 

http://www.laptoplunches.com/

The laptoplunch boxes are really neat.  Thanks for the site.

We recycle and reuse as much as possible.  We switch trash companies a year ago for 2 reasons price and they recycle so much more.  I grew up on a farm and we reused everything.  So have always done most of the things that most people are just started to do.   I always used cloth diapers even thou my kids were born when nobody used them. 

I make my own laundry soap and cleaning products.   I make most of my food from scratch and homemade.   We have a compose pile.   We live on 3 acres and we have fruit trees.  We don't get any fruit from them.  The deer eat it all.  We do hunt and fish.  We eat what we get. 

Have a wonderful day.

Charlottehappy halloween

ceomom2011
by New Member on Mar. 15, 2011 at 11:07 PM

I use all eco friendly products !! Everything in my home product wise is eco friendly and it all comes from my company which are basically free :)

notjstanothrmom
by New Member on Mar. 21, 2011 at 9:13 AM

We try our best to live a more eco-friendly lifestyle.

-We recycle like crazy, we're talking more then 2 normal sized city regulated trash bins in 2 weeks.

-Use cloth diapers.

-Use family cloth for the kids and women for pee.

-Use unpaper towels and no other paper products besides toilet paper.

-Grow our own garden.

-Trying to get something to start a compost.

-Buy used from consignment shops or Craigslist whenever possible.

-SO carpools to work.

-Use vinegar and water for cleaning products, about $3 every 3 months used liberally.

-Quick showers and not daily.

-"When it's brown flush it down, when it's yellow let it mellow." A.K.A no need to flush a little pee right away.

-Make our own baby food.

-Breastfeed, saves on lots of manufacturing on top of the millions of other benefits.

-Buy local when possible.

Probably many more that are not listed.

vikkimus
by New Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I try to recycle, i also use cloth on my son. I dont use paper napkins and am working to switch to cloth napkins. I make all of our food, and i'm working on a garden. We hang all of our clothes to dry and wash them all with cold water. I make our laundry soap as to reduce chemicals that we have in our home... we also compost all our kitchen scraps. We don't eat much meat, and we have a meal plan so we don't buy things that are needed. I am working on elimating any non organic food from our diet. I'm also working on becoming no 'poo.

energygirl
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I make my own laundry detergent and hang clothes on the line to dry, use cloth napkins and towels instead of papertowels, recycle and compost....use Dr. Bronner's liquid soap for body wash and hand soap.......I cook from scrach (everything from making dry black beans in the crock pot and freezing in canned sized portions) to baking....my kids have sun hats (bit the bullet and ordered the "Sunday Afternoon" brand ones on amazon....since they are adjustable and will last them several years as well as cover their neck and face...figure it will save buying a bunch of toxic sunscreen).....we give things through freecycle.org a lot......and I just signed up for Conscious Box where they  send you a box each month of 10-20 eco friendly new products (from snacks to personal care and household items).......because I want to try some new things but the nearest Whole Foods store is 45 minutes away... I figured it would be nice to get some items to try...and then if I like them I can order more...if not....atleast it was neat to try something at a discount...  (to check that out...cut and paste to your browser  
https://www.consciousbox.com/subscribe?acc=f73b76ce8949fe29bf2a537cfa420e8f&bannerid=4 

BethWorthy
by New Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Hi,

I am installing a solar water heater, I know it costs more but I can use the nature's renewable source of energy and can cut on my energy bills too!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN