Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who is your personal hero?

Posted by on May. 7, 2007 at 8:16 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 384 Total Views
Is there someone in your family that you might consider your personal hero? Why?  Did they overcome great obversity? Did they blaze new trails? Maybe you just admire the way they lived their life or how honest and helpful they were.

My personal heroes are my late Godmother and my husband. My Godmother did not live in the same city or state as us but I did live with my Godparents when I was in the 9th grade. I think the reason I admire her so much is that she was so opposite from my mother in many ways. My Godmother was a very successful real estate broker. My mom never worked outside the home other than for a brief period when she owned a ladies dress shop with her cousin. They had similar personalities in that they were outgoing and social and could through great parties, etc., but my Godmother helped me to realize that a woman could work and have a career and do her own thing. She was always the sweetest southern woman and everyone loved her.

My husband is in this world for a great purpose even if he does not realize what it is completely. By all odds he should probably not be alive today. He was born with a heart condition (WPW) where he has like 3 different nerve pathways in his heart. This caused him to have fits of tachacardyia (sp?) where he says his heart used to get up to 300+ beats a minute. He had open heart surgery when he was in his late teens/early 20's to try to correct the problem and this was after many years in a 3M study where he took various drugs that were under consideration (many of which were never approved). He saw many people around him die, he went through tremendous pain, but because of this, the condition is now treated without the need for an open heart surgery but instead through a catherization (he had that also since the open heart did not do enough).  He is healthy today and does not take meds for his heart nor is he on any sort of restrictive living plan. He is one of the most honest people you will meet. He is not afraid to tell people what he thinks and he is very knowledgeable about many things. He is great with kids and with people on any level. He loves and supports me even when I am driving him absolutly nuts (LOL) and his belief in me has made me a better person. He is a wonderful step-father and father and I know our boys will be better people because of his influence on them. He is the baby of his family but he is the one that everyone knows they can count on for help (not always a good thing). I am found of saying that you could put him in a room with 50 people he has never met before and by the time the leave, 49 of them will feel like they have known him for years.

by on May. 7, 2007 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
mom_to_a_angel
by on May. 29, 2007 at 9:07 PM
I would have to say my mom cause she helped me out in so many ways in the last few years. When I was going through the loss of my daughter & we had all the court stuff going on, my mom took in my 2 yr. old son, now 9. And if she didnt do that who knows where he wouldve went. I love her so much for doing that for me.
I also love my ex parents for taking in my 2 other kids. I was very resentful at first but I know they are not wanting for nothing & are in good hands until the day I will see them again.
Also would have to be my husband. I lost all faith in finding a good guy after what I went through with my ex. And then 1 day I go to a friends house for dinner & there he is. I hear that voice in the back of my mind say,"Thats the man you are going to marry". I didnt believe it, I never wanted to get married. But after talking that day we started dating & have been together ever since. hes brought my faith back in relationships. They have there ups & downs like always but hes the best man I have eve met & am very proud to be his wife & mother to his child:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)