Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SPEAK ENGLISH

Posted by on May. 7, 2007 at 9:59 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 246 Total Views

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT SLANG....  I HAVE 4 GIRLS.. I DON'T THINK ITS APPROPRIATE TO TALK SLANG... I FOR ONE DON'T KNOW AND HAVE NEVER UNDERSTAND IT MYSELF... I KNOW ITS A KID THING BUT I FEEL SOME PEOPLE GET SO USED TO IT, THAT THEY FORGET HOW AND WHEN TO SPEAK PROPERLY..  LAST SUMMER MY GIRLS HAD BEEN AT GRANDMAS HOUSE FOR A FEW DAYS PLAYING WITH THE KIDS AROUND HERE... MY THEN 6 YEAR OLD CAME IN AND SAID... "MA.. CAN I GET SOME WATER.. ITS MAD HOT OUT THERE"... I STOOD IN FRONT OF HER AND JUST LOOKED IN HER FACE FOR A FEW MINUTES... AFTER THAT I JUST ASKED " HAVE YOU EVER HEARD ME SPEAK LIKE THAT... ?? SHE QUICKLY ANSWERED "NO".. I SAID  "WELL OK.. THEN THAT MEANS I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT EITHER"   IM AMAZED THAT WHEN I CALL SOME PEOPLE THEIR CHILDREN ANSWER THE PHONE WITH.. "WHAT", OR "WHATS UP?" AND THEY DONT HAVE A ISSUE WITH IT... IF THEY DON'T LEARN THE CORRECT WAY AT HOME.... WHERE WILL THEY LEARN IT.? AM I BEING UNREASONABLE?

by on May. 7, 2007 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
NO1LKME
by New Member on May. 7, 2007 at 10:19 AM
I don't think anyone has a right to tell you that you are being unreasonable because it is how you feel is proper in raising your children.  I would never tolerate my children answering a phone with WHAT OR WHAT'S UP.  However, my 14 year old daughter does talk "slang" with her friends but nothing over the top.  She and i will kid with each other a lot as well, but she knows when and where it is tolerated, allowed and accepted.  I think the rule should be, everything has its place and time.  If a child respects that, I don't see an issue with it.

Candie
jenilouise612
by on May. 7, 2007 at 9:35 PM
I don't let my kids use slang either. I am trying to raise young ladies and ladies speak appropriately.
jahassiii
by on May. 9, 2007 at 9:16 PM
I think slang is different words to different people.  My kids are allowed to use certain slang words, but at the same time they need to realize when that type of talk is allowed.  I feel that it's rude and disrespectfull for kids to talk to any adult by saying things like "what's up?"  or "how's it hangin'?".  My boys aren't allowed to answer the phone (even though they are 10 and 8!) and when around adults they are to address them with respect, they are to say "hello" when someone greets them and they are expected to answer someone when they talk to them! ( A bit of a problem with Zach for some reason!!!  Some one will ask him a quiestion, and he'll look at them with this blank stare and not even acknowledge that he's being spoken to!!!  He's getting better though.)

So here in our own house we are allowed certain slang phrases, but if the kids don't know what it means then they can't say it!!!  They need to at least be able to tell me the meaning, so that I can understand, but they rarely come home with stuff like that.
sopranomommy
by on May. 9, 2007 at 10:56 PM

I do allow slang to a certain extent.  You can use slang and still be respectful and sound intelligent.  You have to be careful which slang you use and when to use it.  My husband is highly intelligent but has the worst speech you have ever heard.  If he doesn't hear what you say he'll say "huh?"  Danielle has picked it up and I am working hard to get her out of the habit.  I tell her point blank that she is very smart but if she says that all time, people will think she isn't smart.  I believe that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)