Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

milk allery verses milk intolerance

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:03 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 346 Total Views
i always drank dairy product so the thougt never crossed my mind in my 24 years of life.lol  but i was totaly unaware that thier was a differnce in being allergic to milk and dairy products and being lactose intolerant.   huh.  so my little guy has had problemsince on formula.  he would vomit across the room at 2 weeks.  it was so scarry.  they thought that maybe it was acid reflux. nop.   it was the milk in the formul so they switched him to soy and said he would probalby out grow it by age 1.  so here comes his 1st birthday and we try him on milk on my God what a horrible descision.  talk about diaree(cant spell) and vomit.   Because of other problemtoo they went on to do allergies.  he was not allergic to milk so they daid he was lactose intolerant.   i always thought it was the same thing but its not.  being intolerant means you have difficult digesting it and being allergic mean you are allegic to the protien.  this is what i gatherd but who knows.  anyways my little boy is 19 month and drinks lactaid milk.   he does good if he eats yougurt but give him ice scream pudding or sometihing with alot of milk the running poops starts!   Does anyone know if you can outgrow an intolerance?
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
kristy923
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 9:44 AM
My daughter had to be on Nutramigen formula, VERY $$$$$$$, We thought at 1 she would grow out of it ( DR. said so) We gave her whole milk. She couldn't poop and was in a lot of pain. In the middle of the night she woke up crying and couldn't stand straight. I checked her diaper and there was really hard poop stuck, I mean STUCK.  The area was swelling and turning purple, in a panic I called my Dr.  Well I had to break it off wit a baby wipe send my hubby to the store and we got Fleet liquid glycerin suppos. and Silk Soy milk. She cried for a few minutes then had the biggest poop ever!!!!!! Then was happy and decided to stay up the rest of the night. We have not had any problems since. She is still on soy milk and she is 3.5. If she has Ice cream she gets a belly ache and the poops ( g-ma sneaks it to her sometimes) She cant eat some chocolate either. No more than 1 Yogurt a day and we use her soy to make pudding.
handmsmom
by on Nov. 2, 2007 at 10:22 AM
my son was just recently diagnosed with a milk allergy.  as i have been trying to educate myself on food allergies i found out that one way to tell if it is intolerance vs. allergy is if they can tolerate yogurt.  the live cultures in the yogurt eat the lactose.  so yogurt may be beneficial to your kiddo if he has had pudding or ice cream.  as far as outgrowing an intolerance i don't know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)