Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

toddler does not like his new "milk"

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:00 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 275 Total Views

The doctor suggested we try Lactaid or Soy milk to give to our son, who is 2 1/2.  He has drank soy in the past a few times when having the stomach bug, but I tried it a few months back and totally would not drink it.  So this week I am trying Lataid.  The first glass I gave him he rejected.  The second one I did 1/2 lactaid 1/2 milk - he rejected.  He really does not like sweet tasting things and it does seem sweeter than regular milk.  I tried coffee syrup and vanilla syrup.   He does not like chocolate milk.  I also have strawberry syrup to try.   I really want to see if this makes a difference in his life, but I can't get him to drink it.  Did anyone else  have trouble getting their child to make the switch to Lactaid.  How did you offer it?    I even warmed it because Jacob likes warm milk still.

Any tips would be apreciated. Thanks

I just had a thought that maybe I should water it down to cut back on the sweetness.  Has anyone done this?

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
CrimsonAlchemy
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:04 PM

My middle daugther can't have dairy or lactaid because she's allegic to a different part in milk.  She never had cow milk.  She loves a certain kind of soy milk but not  others.  I would buy different kinds of soy or rice milk and find the one he likes the best.  Mine love Silk Very Vanilla.  You can get plain soy milk that is not sweet, I use it to cook with but you can drink it.

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

GreatLakesmom
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 4:11 PM

My husband loves Vanilla and Very Vanilla Silk Soy milk.  My daughter likes the Vanilla as well.  Since the stores usually carry the small and large size containers you can buy each flavor in the small containers to see what your son would like.  They also have chocolate and plain.  At the very least you could always cook/bake with what he doesn't like.  Soy milk does seems to be thicker than regular milk so watering it down a bit might help, but I wouldn't go beyond 1/4 water, 3/4 milk.  You could also try other brands, although that does get expensive.  They also have shelf stable soy milk (Edensoy) that comes in drink boxes that are not as sweet. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)