Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

English or Silver??

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:21 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 500 Total Views

Has anyone seen or heard of silver or english labs? I saw something on this on Animal Planet dogs  101 but can't find anything on them. Just wondering??confused

melissalv
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MNlablover
by Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Hi - I have seen "silver" labs marketed... they look like a cross with weimeraners... according to our vet, who is also our breeder and also the president of the local labrador retreiver club here in the twin cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul)... they are not labs... labs are only black, chocolate or yellow (with white and fox red being a version of yellow)... here's a quote form her website:

Frances O Smith, DVM, PhD Chair, Labrador Retriever Club, Genetics Committee

Over the past few years a limited number of breeders have advertised and sold dogs they represent to be pure bred Labrador Retrievers with a silver coat color- hence the term "silver labs". At least some of these "silver labs" have been accepted for registration by the AKC. The rationale for this decision is apparently, that the silver coat color is a shade of chocolate.  Interestingly, the original breeders of "silver" Labradors were also involved in the Weimeraner breed.

Although we cannot conclusively prove that the silver Labrador is a product of cross breeding the Weimeraner to a Labrador, there is good evidence in the scientific literature indicating that the Labrador has never been identified as carrying the dilute
gene dd. The Weimeraner is the only known breed in which the universality of dd is a characteristic. Recognized coat colors for purebred Labradors are black, yellow and chocolate. No shadings of coat color are recognized for black or chocolate Labradors in either the Labrador standard or the current research into genetic coat colors. The shadings recognized in yellow Labrador  Retrievers do not depend on the presence of the dilute gene dd but are modifiers acting on the ee gene. The identified coat color genes in the Labrador include:
    A   B   C   D    E    g   in   s   i
     |      |     |    |                 |
     a     b    c       e              t

The omission of "d" and thus the impossibility of a dd dilute gene resulting from a pure Labrador breeding is certainly persuasive evidence that the silver Labrador is not a purebred.

It is the opinion of the LRC (Labrador Retreiver Club) is that a silver Labrador is not a purebred Labrador. The pet owning public is being duped into believing that these animals are desirable, purebred, and rare and therefore warrant special notoriety or a premium purchase price.

end quote.

Also, the "English" type of lab is more of a confirmation or show lab - another quote: (English style of Labrador, with emphasis on a blocky head, broad chest, thick, double hair coat, and an "otter tail.") the English lab is not a field lab (field or amercian labs are thinner, with a tuck under belly and thinner head - I think they have tons more energy). We have a english lab and she is such a lover. sweet temperment, never jumped up on anyone - stockier build, thicker head, shorter, otter tail (thicker), etc.

... hope this helps -- just adding my 2 cents :-)

melissalv
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:38 PM

I'm alittle confused??? The vet said some "silver" labs have be accepted by AKC but that they really don't make them in that color. Why accept it? Then with the English if I have a show lab then it's english?? I just don't get it . Where do u get an English lab and I agree field labs are WAY HYPER.

melissalv
MNlablover
by Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 1:34 PM

I think she was just saying that some have been accepted... not that it's right to do so... and also that there isn't conclusive or total proof (and that they were accepted as a variation of black - not as their own color) -- it is a bit confusing...

MNlablover
by Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 1:40 PM

re: english labs... check with your breeder... many labs are a cross of the 2. Confirmation or show labs (as opposed to field or american labs) are characterized as stockier builds, blocky head, no "tuck" under at the belly, thicker, otter-like tail, shorter... if they truly are confirmation labs, it's very easy to tell the difference (but again, lots of times they're mixed when bred)

here's a picture of a show champion confirmation lab -- to me he obviously does not look like a field lab..

http://www.danikklabradors.com/gallery/

(check out the first 2 show pics of Caer Bren Admiral

fyi, this is the breeder web site where we got our girl, Kodi Sassy

MNlablover
by Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 1:47 PM

ok... i just had to post another cute picture of my sweetheart confirmation lab... Kodi Sassy... I'm such a boastful, proud mom :-) 

MNlablover
by Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 1:51 PM

one more pic of her stockier build, no tuck under, otter tail etc...

melissalv
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Thanks sooo much 4 ur help

melissalv
MNlablover
by Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 10:06 PM

OK... that is such a cute pic of your chocolate lab with your son... it reminded me that our labs are sooo good with kids... kind of like they are their sibling. My 5 and 7 year old's use Kodi as a pillow and reading buddy... it's so cute!

nice picture!snowgirl

Tinkie107
by on Jan. 19, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I have a eleven year old yellow lab and we were told she is a British Box Lab, she has the short face and a stocky build. tina

LLGina
by Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 4:24 AM

Well seeing as we're from England I'm guessing my labs are prob English ones! lol but seriously my choco lab is really chunky and I cant keep the weight on my black lab!

The choco one is as pure bred as they come KC registered and everything. the black one is not KC registered and was born and raised on a farm. Her parents are working farm dogs as well. Hyper is not the word for her! Choco one is happy to lounge around on the sofa all day!

In England Silver labs are not recognised by the Kennel Club as a labrador. They say they are mixed with weinerama (sp). You can get hold of them but you can't show them in Crufts of any other Kennel Club show.

Indy

Bounty

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)