Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Speech/Communication delays

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:33 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 309 Total Views

Have any of you experienced speech and/or communication delays in your heart babies? My little guy is 2.5 and doesn't talk at all. He can say ball, car and waves at some animals in books only but not people. He does laugh and play and can make a lot of babble sounds etc. This has become interesting to me lately after reading some studies about it. I have him in speech therapy and will see a pediatrician who specializes in autism and speech delays etc. I feel confused about his development. I want to make sure I am doing everything I can to help him communicate with us but its hard to know what's really going on I guess =/

by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
countrygurl333
by New Member on May. 31, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Let me start by saying yes i know how you feel i am  in the boat with you! My son was born with a hypoplastic left heart and that is where there is a side not there we have been through many surgeries and he just started walking about a month ago let me mention he is 2.5 also he still does not talk and has been in therapy since before leaving the hospital for ot pt and speech which at that time the speech was to get him to eat and now it is to talk all he says is mama, dada and nona. He goes to his therapies and now actually has a group that comes to the house to work with him they are teaching him sign language and he will start school in October it is called VPK 3 i dont know where you are located i am in FLORIDA .

Brandy

Evana
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 7:21 PM

My daughter was in speech too. Her heart and communication delays are due to Down syndrome so I know it's a whole other story.

I'm a speech pathologist as well and work with toddlers. When someone your child's age isn't talking, then I look for some of these things: creativity in play (not just stacking or shuffling toys around or spinning wheels), gestures (waving, pointing, leading you to what he wants), socialization (eye contact, hugs/kisses with caregivers), imitation in play (if you pound a pot with a spoon does he do it), imitation in speech (if you made a noise or word, can he do it). These things tell me how well the child in interacting with others and how well he's 'paying attention' to the world around him. It sounds like you are doing the right thing with the therapies and the peditrician.

motha2daDuchess
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM

my daughter is HOH, so she is nonverbal at 5

littlecheifsmom
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Ds is 17 months. He can say hi, dad, momma that's it
Q-tsmom
by New Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM

My son had Tetrology of Fallot with a 7 hour repair (had to come on and off bypass twice).  He is very verbal and seems to be developmentally ok- HOWEVER- he does have Sensory Integration Disorder (mostly seen in children with autism- though my son doesn't have that).  We see OT every week, and somethings are getting better- some. .  not so much.  Our cardiologist  said that babies that go through this- bypass- heart problems etc- are about 10 times more likely than the general population to have these sorts of problems.  I can't say if it is due to the surgery/low oxygenation from the heart problem- or if whatever genetic- or congenital process caused the problem with their heart also wreaked havoc with their nervous systems- but the correlation is there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)