Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is almost 11 months old and won't use a sippy cup!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:06 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 278 Total Views

Hey gals!

I was just wondering if anyone else had trouble getting their children to adapt to taking a sippy cup.  I have been trying for several months now and with my son's 1st birthday quickly approaching, I feel like he is behind other children.

I give him diluted juice in his sippy cup and he acts like either A) he has no idea what to do with it (even though I try to get him to imitate me) or B) he just has no interest in trying.

I have tried Playtex, Nuby, and our most recent Avent sippies and he just won't take it.... any suggestions or feedback?

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
UmmKhalil
by Group Owner on Mar. 8, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Hmm, thats a tricky one! Khalil was the same way, but it was only when there was milk in his sippy. He'd take it if there was water/juice, but not if there was milk. He wanted milk in his bottle. It took me forever to get him to drink milk out of a sippy.

You said you tried Nuby, those are the ones with the soft, nipple-like spouts, right? Cause, those are what I would recommend.

Does he like any cartoon characters that you could find on a cup? Maybe that would motivate him to drink out of it? I guess just keep trying to offer the sippy to him, and eventually one day he'll take it!

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help!

Nicole
-Mommy to Khalil, 3 years old
TOF/PA, 2 caths, 2 open heart surgeries

-Baby Boy, Due May 29, 2009!!!

Group Owner- HEART MOMS-www.cafemom.com/group/chdmoms

crickettty
by Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:33 PM

With Allison she already didn't like bottles and was on a feeding tube so with her we got the soft rubbery nippled sippy cups and put something I knew Alli liked and we would open up the hole in the nipple a little bit and let it slowly leak out into her mouth and after a few times she would start sucking on it to get more out and then after a while she became a pro. I wouldn't worry too much. These kiddo's need time for somethings.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Mother to Chloe 7 HH, and Allison 2 HLHS, Co Arctation of the Aorta, LPA issues, former g-tuber and mic-key button.

mamatoheartbaby
by Group Admin on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:44 PM

I had to take the spill proof valves out of the avent cups to get Addison to drink from them, it took a long time .. he had always had one to play with put never really drank much. He was also the kid that would only nurse and refused a bottle other than that first day he could eat after his surgery.... I alway gave Addison his cup while in his high chair without the valve that way the mess wan't too bad. Good Luck ... he'll get it sooner or later! 

mommateapot
by Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 11:04 PM

My daughter will drink juice or water from a sippy cup, but she still likes to have her formula out of the bottle. I am working on trying to get her to drink it out of the cup...but she won't have anything to do with it.

My daughter is 15 months old.

The way we got my son off the bottle was we got him this cup:

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp165750_333181_sespider/gerber_nuk/learner_cup.htm

It was the best investment ever...you can find them at Walmart..they run about $6 a cup..but once my son had his milk from this cup, he never wanted a bottle again. The only drawback is that they don't sell replacement spouts...so you have to buy another cup if the spout needs changing. 

~Joy~

Dakota (1/28/06) kiteLilyann (11/30/07) toddler girl

cranmer8
by Member on Mar. 12, 2009 at 10:15 AM

IT is totally normal. All you can do is to keep giving it to him and limit his bottle to maybe before bed or something.  He will drink it if there is nothing else.  And remember too, not every kid abides by the year thing.  It won't hurt him if he drinks out of a bottle a little longer.  Some kids just aren't ready for a cup.  Do things on yours and his time.

Heather

Kiersten87
by Member on Mar. 29, 2009 at 12:01 AM

We gave my DD a cup right after her birthday.  I don't think he is behind.

Pinkytuskedero
by Member on Mar. 30, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Have you tried the cups with the straw instead of the sippy spout?  My oldest liked those better for a while.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)