Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHAT TO DO

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2008 at 11:38 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 370 Total Views
hey ladies. I'm robin. i am pretty new to the group and i joining for group support and advice. I stopped relaxing my hair over 3 yrs ago, but am still quite clueless. i blow-dry and flatiron my hair straight, but want a more natural (nappy) look. i used to cornrow my hair and take it out to wear it wavy/curly. I am just not sure what style will look good on me. my hair is pretty long so i have a lot to work with, but I am not sure which direction to go in. can anyone give me any suggestions?

here is a recent pic:

Robin

ξProud wife and mammaξ

by on Mar. 27, 2008 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
soulsister72
by Group Owner on Mar. 28, 2008 at 9:42 AM
Thanks for joining us, welcome!

Are you currently flat-ironing your hair while wanting a new look? My hair's never been flat-ironed, but I would think that if you're not using any harsh products on it, you could wash it and revert it back to its curly state.

As for how you 'should' wear your hair, just think about who's hair you like and the styles that you gravitate to; those are usually the ones that would look good on you (why else would they fascinate you so much?). I do the 2-strand twist out; after about 2-3 weeks of the twists, I untwist them (without combing) and get that full, curly look you see in the pics. I've been happy with that for over a year now, since all I do is tie it up at night and moisturize when it dries. Tell us more about how you want it to look, hope this helps!
sheenaslove
by Member on Mar. 30, 2008 at 1:53 PM

I think it is something you are going to have to play around with.  But first, if you want that more natural look you are going to have to stop with the flat ironing as your pic looks like your hair is still relaxed.  Try washing and then braiding your hair after only towel drying and using moisturizing creams.  Then let it out the next day or so.  I'm sure you will like the natural/wavy/curly look it will give you.  You can also do the same with the double stranded twists like soulsister advised.

Sheenaslove
flydivamomof3
by New Member on May. 12, 2008 at 4:14 PM
Your  hair is very long!  I have long hair too and I have been frustrated lately with natural styles myself.  I think the ladies with the shorter fros are really cute.  Longer hair is work!!  I usually wear two strand twists with extensions because I like for my hair to look full and not scalpy if that makes sense.  But one thing I have been doing lately is a twist out and it is working for me.  I wash my hair, condition it then twist it individually maybe 20 braids all over then let it dry and untwist the braids. 

I have also been meaning to try the flat twist out but haven't had the nerve to try it.  

Good luck!
subbrock
by on May. 14, 2008 at 6:03 PM
i do wash and go's most of the time. basically i wet my hair, add in my leave in conditioner and a bit of oil and just air dry. you should definetly check out naturallycurly.com or napturilty.com for hairstyle inspirations, routines, and regimens. good luck!
http://lilypie.com/http://lilypie.com/
Belle_Mom2B
by New Member on May. 18, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Quoting subbrock:

i do wash and go's most of the time. basically i wet my hair, add in my leave in conditioner and a bit of oil and just air dry. you should definetly check out naturallycurly.com or napturilty.com for hairstyle inspirations, routines, and regimens. good luck!

Ditto.

Wash 'n' gos are excellent for the state of your hair (no harsh products (usually) and no harsh heat).

One concern though, if you stopped getting relaxers three years ago, and have consistently flat ironed over that period of time without wearing your hair in it's nautral state, there is a good chance you won't be able to get it to revert back completely...this does NOT, however, mean you can't wear your hair curly.  You'll probably still have some gorgeous waves to rock.  But it's something to keep in mind as you continue to grow your hair out and you wear it natural.  Constant heat ends up relaxing the hair and you will have the 2 textures meeting (natural and no heat, vs. natural and heat applied).

I've been through that whole ordeal once before.  But you can definitely get through it.
MaddoxTia
by New Member on May. 20, 2008 at 4:05 PM
Can someone explain how to do a flat twist? 
I'm having the same concerns, not sure what to do with my recent natural hair. I'm currently rocking a 2strand twist for quite some weeks now and I'm getting tired of the same look.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)