Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

THE NAP PATROL....(VENT, QUESTION)

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2008 at 4:54 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 565 Total Views

Poll

Question: IF A STRANGER/FAM MEMBER/FRIEND ASKS ME TO GET A PERM OR STRAIGHTEN MY HAIR, I....

Options:

IGNORE THEM/WALK AWAY.

ASK THEM THE 411 ABOUT THEIR HAIR TO SEE HOW THEY LIKE IT.

GO THE HELL OFF!!!

TELL THEM 'B/C I'M A GROWN-@$$ WOMAN' (OR SOMETHING TO THAT EFFECT) AND LEAVE IT AT THAT.

OTHER

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 42

View Results

Hey Ladies!

Is it just me, or do WOMEN WHO RELAX THEIR HAIR ACT AS IF THEY GET COMMISSION BY TRYING TO CONVERT YOU INTO GETTING A D@MN PERM???

I've been natural long enough to know that it's a journey, a process that you have to make on your own time and with your own efforts----you can't 'go there' if you don't really want to or aren't ready to. For that reason, I NEVER try to tell women with perms what to do. If you ask me how to get the hair natural and want to get my stylist's #, etc, then that's different, b/c you're obviously curious. But these other females demanding to know why I won't straighten my hair, or why would I want to wear it natural (WTF?!?) work my last NERVES!!! I shouldn't have to explain myself or be subjected to such nosy-@$$ questions---why give a d@mn what I do to MY HEAD??? Would they like it if I asked why in the hell they won't get rid of the blond weave or why they refuse to look at their natural hair texture, much less attempt to style their God-given hair??? SHEESH!!!

So, when you encounter a member of the Nap Patrol, how do you handle them? I say "I wear my hair like this b/c I like it, just as you obviously like your hair the way YOU wear it."

by on Apr. 20, 2008 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cadasia
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2008 at 12:20 PM
This reminds me of a new assistant my cousin has working in her shop...my cousin sent me to the back so that this new girl could shampoo my hair and when I took my head wrap off she said "Oh you don't perm your hair? Why? Are you thinking about getting one soon?" So I said "No I don't perm my hair and Nikki (my cuz) knows what she's doing...if you can't handle the shapoo I can wait for her"...Needless to say she shut up and did her job!

My grandmother is the same way...it's always wow how long are you going to keep it like that? and my MIL says why don't you just wear braids? CUZ I LOVE rocking my afro that's why!!!

I love it! My DH loves it and that's all that matters.

MJSMOMMA
by on Apr. 21, 2008 at 4:20 PM
It can be so damn aggrivating. This morning I needed my mom to help me press my hair because I was in a hurry for work & she knows that I can't have a relaxer in my hair w/o it falling out & that I prefer to have natural hair & loc it up every few yrs yet she proceeds to tell me I need to put a deep condtioner in my hair to str8tn it & so it won't look like I have bad hair. I asked her what was bad hair to her & she grabbed a handful of my kinky, unstraigtend hair & said, 'this. It's just so unmanageable" I told her that I manage it just fine & prefer it over that over processed hair that my older sister has. My mom says that she'd rather see me w/ an afro than dreads or 'that mess' as she calls it. She has no idea that I am loc'n up this summer! I used to wear wigs to my job the 1st 6 months because I wasn't sure what to expect. Well having a new supervisor that has long loc's herself & lots of clients that come in w/ beautiful naturals has given me the courage to toss the wigs out. I get so many more compliments now. Still have a few people that ask me why I don't put in a relaxer & I just tell them 'because I want to keep my hair' & they usually just give me a funny look & leave me alone. I love the versitility of our natural hair no matter how much ppl stare or ask'can I touch it' or 'why don't u put in a relaxer?'

Typing while feeding or holding baby is not easy

soulsister72
by Group Owner on Apr. 21, 2008 at 8:11 PM
Family are always the main ones talking sh!t----UNREAL!!! Your bold stances make me so proud, it's great to know I'm not the only one!!!
subbrock
by on Apr. 21, 2008 at 10:21 PM
i dont get too much flack from people but when i first went natural everyone who had known me with straight hair would be like, "why dont you straighten your hair?" or when i did flat iron my hair they would say something about how i should do that all the time. so i told them, if you come over and do my hair every day, then i'll wear it any way you want me to. needless to say, no one showed up to do my hair each day.
http://lilypie.com/http://lilypie.com/
soulsister72
by Group Owner on Apr. 22, 2008 at 11:07 AM

Quoting subbrock:

i dont get too much flack from people but when i first went natural everyone who had known me with straight hair would be like, "why dont you straighten your hair?" or when i did flat iron my hair they would say something about how i should do that all the time. so i told them, if you come over and do my hair every day, then i'll wear it any way you want me to. needless to say, no one showed up to do my hair each day.

heavens_luv
by Member on Apr. 22, 2008 at 7:33 PM
No one ever really made a bad comment about my hair that I can remember. Ive always been natural & even as a child my teachers would tell me never to relax me hair and not to listen to those kids. Though a couple of years ago I went to this salon & the lady asked me why I dont relax my hair, I just pointed to her hairless head & left
"I am a pomegranate red and bursting full of surprise seeds of growth and bitterness I am difficult to eat take a lot of patience I am messy and will stain you but my juice is so sweet..."
MJSMOMMA
by on Apr. 22, 2008 at 8:46 PM
A lot of hair dressers think a relaxer is the cure to everyting..plus it keeps them in business even when they mess up!
Quoting heavens_luv:

No one ever really made a bad comment about my hair that I can remember. Ive always been natural & even as a child my teachers would tell me never to relax me hair and not to listen to those kids. Though a couple of years ago I went to this salon & the lady asked me why I dont relax my hair, I just pointed to har hairless head & left

Typing while feeding or holding baby is not easy

jannahj
by on Apr. 22, 2008 at 10:16 PM
What trips me out is when people see you with your hair natural and they automatically assume that you cant afford to get your hair done, how funny. I love being natural and I am glad I made the choice to do so. I have been contemplating it for like 4 years before I actually did it and when I finally did I was so relieved. My hair grows so much better without the relaxer in it and it does not break off like it did was I was relaxing. And now that I am pregnant it grows so much faster and thicker. One-day while picking up my son from daycare I over heard a young lady saying that she would never cut her hair because it is a "Woman's Pride", I thought , how shallow.
MrsCEllis
by Member on Apr. 25, 2008 at 2:07 PM
I can relate to that statement (see highlighted below).  I'm transitioning and my sister bought me a gift certificate to get my hair done because she thought I was not getting a "touch-up" because money was tight.  I appreciated her kindness, but when I explained to her that I was not getting a touch-up ON PURPOSE, she almost hit the floor!  She just could not understand not having a relaxer!  She called me a "Black Panther".  LOL!
Quoting jannahj:

What trips me out is when people see you with your hair natural and they automatically assume that you cant afford to get your hair done, how funny. I love being natural and I am glad I made the choice to do so. I have been contemplating it for like 4 years before I actually did it and when I finally did I was so relieved. My hair grows so much better without the relaxer in it and it does not break off like it did was I was relaxing. And now that I am pregnant it grows so much faster and thicker. One-day while picking up my son from daycare I over heard a young lady saying that she would never cut her hair because it is a "Woman's Pride", I thought , how shallow.
Jaiclark
by on Apr. 27, 2008 at 2:27 AM
I can relate. I've been getting a perm since I was in the 5th grade! I decided to go natural three years ago and have been loving it ever since. I hate how people look at my hair and want to put a relaxer in it. My hair is thick and I have a lot of hair so everyone look at it and think oh god to put a relaxer in it. My hair is pressed but you can still tell that it's natural. These two girls at my job told me that she'll hard press my hair so it can get "straighter". Needless to say I haven't taken up her offer. I love that fact that my hair can get puffy but still look soft and good.

Jai
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)