Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

THE NAP PATROL....(VENT, QUESTION)

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: IF A STRANGER/FAM MEMBER/FRIEND ASKS ME TO GET A PERM OR STRAIGHTEN MY HAIR, I....

Options:

IGNORE THEM/WALK AWAY.

ASK THEM THE 411 ABOUT THEIR HAIR TO SEE HOW THEY LIKE IT.

GO THE HELL OFF!!!

TELL THEM 'B/C I'M A GROWN-@$$ WOMAN' (OR SOMETHING TO THAT EFFECT) AND LEAVE IT AT THAT.

OTHER

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 42

View Results

Hey Ladies!

Is it just me, or do WOMEN WHO RELAX THEIR HAIR ACT AS IF THEY GET COMMISSION BY TRYING TO CONVERT YOU INTO GETTING A D@MN PERM???

I've been natural long enough to know that it's a journey, a process that you have to make on your own time and with your own efforts----you can't 'go there' if you don't really want to or aren't ready to. For that reason, I NEVER try to tell women with perms what to do. If you ask me how to get the hair natural and want to get my stylist's #, etc, then that's different, b/c you're obviously curious. But these other females demanding to know why I won't straighten my hair, or why would I want to wear it natural (WTF?!?) work my last NERVES!!! I shouldn't have to explain myself or be subjected to such nosy-@$$ questions---why give a d@mn what I do to MY HEAD??? Would they like it if I asked why in the hell they won't get rid of the blond weave or why they refuse to look at their natural hair texture, much less attempt to style their God-given hair??? SHEESH!!!

So, when you encounter a member of the Nap Patrol, how do you handle them? I say "I wear my hair like this b/c I like it, just as you obviously like your hair the way YOU wear it."

by on Apr. 20, 2008 at 4:54 PM
Replies (11-16):
SylviaNCali
by New Member on Apr. 28, 2008 at 9:54 PM
My mother always gets sad when I say i'm going to cut my hair off. When I told her I'm going natural she said maybe I should just leave now because I don't want to be in a negative mood. I was like why does kinky hair bother her that much? Oh well. I'm going to do what's right for me and I just hope that in time she'll see that my hair is just as good as anyone else's.
gaunte4
by on Apr. 28, 2008 at 10:03 PM

I am so lovin my natural naps right now so if someone would say something ....i would be so pround to tell them I LOVE MY Naps and it works for me u do u and i do me .....HOW U DOIN......lol

All natural thats ME......

keep lovin your hair no what anyone says...
3gifts.from.god
by on Jun. 28, 2008 at 11:30 PM
People ask me all the time, they "inform" me that I MUST relax my daughter's hair, because "that is how you take care of black people's hair."

I just look at them and ask "Why?" like they are the confused ones.

No one has ever had an answer to that very simple question.
TJancewicz
by New Member on Jul. 1, 2008 at 11:29 AM
It depends on how I wear my hair whether or not I get a positive or negative response. Like if I wear my hair in twists, most people find that acceptable, but if I wear my fro or wet and wear I usally just get looks, like..."girl, if you don't do something with all that hair." It annoys me, but in the end I just laugh...what more can you do, not everyone is ready to be nappy and natural. It took me a long time to get there.
Divine_IZ
by on Jul. 2, 2008 at 2:35 PM
I had the most comments when I first started my locks and they were going thru the 'all over the head phase' but I just ignored folks and did me...eventually I had sistas coming up to me saying they wish they were 'brave' enough to do what I did LOL as if I jumped from a moving car...

Now, with locks down my back I've had people ask me if I have weave in my hair...as a matter of fact my MIL's sister says that my hair is not real LOL why is my hair a topic of their convos I have no idea!
Telo319
by Member on Jul. 4, 2008 at 8:22 AM
Actually I have found that more women with natural hair try to convert women with processed hair then the other way around. I think that it is all very silly and if you are confident in who you are and how you wear your hair than it shouldn't matter what anyone says.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)