Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We finally have them, but thier hair.....

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:46 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 420 Total Views
Its all breaking off! It is so dry and brittle. Every time we comb it out after they come back from thier old foster home, it breaks off all over the place. What can I do to get it back to health? I have 4 weeks to get thier hair back to health before thier next birthmom visit, and I would like thier hair to be healthy by then. Or at least MUCH healthier. Thier Birthmom said, "I just want to know that they are being taken care of properly." She did not contest this placement at all, and I really want her to see that her children will be well taken care of here.
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Jimi
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 4:38 AM
First of all, GOD bless you. It takes alot to admit you don't know what to do. If someone hasn't already told you... DON"T CUT THEIR HAIR!!! It's something that black women sometimes have an issue with. I wouldn't want you to have to deal with the naysayers who object to cross cultural adoptions or fosters. I would like to suggest only washing their hair once a week for starters. Black hair( as I'm sure you are finding out )though coarser has a tendency to be alot more fragile than the hair of other ethnicities. Then perhaps you can do a deep condition of 100% pure shea butter. You can probably get that at most health food stores, wholefoods or someplace similar. Don't use too much. Alot goes a long way. Make sure you are coming from tip to root. Then just keep their hair braided as much as possible. How old are your little angels anyway? If they are old enough to not mind sleeping with something on their head, why not get some really pretty SILK scarves for them to sleep in. If they are too young well...don't sweat it. If their hair is too short to braid then just get a nice hair pick and pick it out into a fro. That's always cute and pretty low maintenance. I pray I have given you some information that may be of help. I would love to know the outcome. Please feel free to chat me up on my page. Peace and Blessings to you and yours.

3gifts.from.god
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 2:34 PM

Quoting Jimi:

First of all, GOD bless you. It takes alot to admit you don't know what to do. If someone hasn't already told you... DON"T CUT THEIR HAIR!!! Cutting thier hair has never been an option. We aren't even allowed to even if I wanted to. It is already pretty short (Shoulder length)It's something that black women sometimes have an issue with. I wouldn't want you to have to deal with the naysayers who object to cross cultural adoptions or fosters.I already am, but there will always be ignorant people in the world who can't see past skin tone, so we are just taking them as they come so to speak. I would like to suggest only washing their hair once a week for starters. I am washing thier hair once every 2 weeks (and if anything really nasty gets in it by accident) as reccommended by thier Birth Mom. Black hair( as I'm sure you are finding out )though coarser has a tendency to be alot more fragile than the hair of other ethnicities. Then perhaps you can do a deep condition of 100% pure shea butter. I guess I forgot to mention that I am VERY allergic to shea butter.You can probably get that at most health food stores, wholefoods or someplace similar. Don't use too much. Alot goes a long way. Make sure you are coming from tip to root. Then just keep their hair braided as much as possible. How old are your little angels anyway? If they are old enough to not mind sleeping with something on their head, why not get some really pretty SILK scarves for them to sleep in. They already have them. They looked at me like I was crazy the first time I made them sleep in them. Now they love thier scarves. If they are too young well...don't sweat it. If their hair is too short to braid then just get a nice hair pick and pick it out into a fro. That's always cute and pretty low maintenance. I pray I have given you some information that may be of help. I would love to know the outcome. Please feel free to chat me up on my page. Peace and Blessings to you and yours. You have given me LOTS of great information. Thanks for posting!!

PassionFruit
by New Member on Jul. 26, 2007 at 3:20 PM
I agree with the advise of the 1st mom and since you are allergic to Shea Butter then you can try using a hair grease that contains olive oil that helps to keep the scalp moist...I suffer from dry scalp so I use sulfur 8 to help relieve the itching and yes...KEEP THEIR HAIR BRAIDED...since you wash it every two weeks then keep it braided until that time.  Keep us posted.

Animal Text
Jimi
by on Jul. 28, 2007 at 10:19 AM
Wow, allergic to Shea Butter.....I did not see that coming. Sorry, LOL. But as the other mom said Olive Oil is a great substitute. I think you are doing a great job. Keep it up and keep us posted if you have more questions. GOD Bless you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)