Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD MEDICATIONS FOR 9 YEAR OLDS.. WHAT'S THE BEST ONES...

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2010 at 4:39 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 671 Total Views

Ok my 9 year old son just got taken off Adderall XR and we are trying Concerta.  Does anyone have any ideas on some other good medications that you can recommend.  He's only 48 lbs, and from what I read Concerta does the same thing Adderall does with his appetite.  If anyone could give me some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. 

by on Mar. 26, 2010 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
motherofhope98
by on Mar. 26, 2010 at 7:00 PM

We use diet to control adhd symptoms. 

rccmom
by on Mar. 26, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Most all the adhd meds are stimulant based, which can reduce the appetit. Straterra is the only adhd med that is non stimulant based. However, there are some meds that I have heard mentioned that some people try that are not for adhd, but help anyway.

I would suggest if you haven't tried it yet, to try Omega 3 fish oil supplements. Over time, they have been shown to help the symptoms of adhd. Also, diet changes can help, red dyes, and some yellow dyes have been shown to increase hyperactivity. You can try cognitive behavior therapy too to start to train his brain how to focus for longer periods of time. Meanwhile, all you can do is try the med and see how it affects your son, or try "drug holidays" where he can make weight gains. No meds on week-ends, or breaks from school when he doesn't need to focus as much, and hope he catches his weight up during those times.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)