Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking to Connect with Someone

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 1:30 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 419 Total Views
My daughter is a wonderful 5 year old but extremely hyperactive. I don't know anyone else with kids that have adhd, so I don't really have anyone to connect with. My family doesn't understand the full extent of my day, and the stress of raising her. After 2 years of trying all kinds of things to feel like I have some control or influence to help her, it just gets worse. Im kinda at my ends wit, I don't know what to do anymore. Im just so tired of the rollercoaster. if anyone has any wisdom or encouraging words I am all ears.
Thank you.
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 1:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sleepy_Mom
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 1:38 AM
The doct. feels my son is ADD.  He gets really out of control in the evenings.  I don't have any advice, because for us it just part of our lives. I say that because our younger son is Bipolar and it is easier to deal with my older son compared to our younger son.  (I am not saying it easy, but saying it easier then dealing with a child beating me.)

I do understand family members not understanding.  My mother use to tell me I allow him to be out of control.  I would punish him as usual when she was around and then my mom would say oh your being to hard on him. 

I just know I have to take my own breaks.  I use to be really bad about doing this, but I make sure I go to the gym and work out , I take hot baths, and I pop a couple Dove Rich Dark Chocolates.(I am one of these people that believe Chocolate is a cure all!)Wink
KajunMom
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 1:45 AM
I have a six year old son who is the sweetest child in the world, but sometimes I used to find myself wanting to be away from him.  Last year he was diagnosed with ADHD.  He is somewhat hyper, but more fidgety.  He was doing aweful in school, had no friends, and drove me insane.  After debating medication, I felt like it was my only option, so I started him on Adderal XL.  He became a raged child that talked about wanting to die and was always depressed.  Needless to say, at the opposition of my family, I took him off.  He started first grade with no medicine, but I was back to three hours of homework, and fights over getting tasks done, and with other kids and a flooded house, I was near the breaking point.  In February, his teachers called me in, and said his behaivior had reached the point that they could not handle him.  I hastially tried meds again, this time Concerta.  And it has worked wonders.  He went from almost failing, to A's, B's, and C's, and went from bad behavior, to all "green" lights.  His teachers now praise him constantly, and our family is doing better.  It hasn't cleared completely, but we are getting there.  I know I have probably gone on and on, but just know, that I understand, and would love to talk to you whenever you need to.

Tara
annamomof2
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 1:50 AM
Thank you for the support, its nice to know when your not the only one. Especially when everyone in the ouside world tells you "you just don't discipline her " Taking breaks does help, and chocolate works wonders.
KajunMom
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 1:54 AM

Quoting annamomof2:

Thank you for the support, its nice to know when your not the only one. Especially when everyone in the ouside world tells you "you just don't discipline her " Taking breaks does help, and chocolate works wonders.

You are right about chocolate, I find Blue Belle Milk Chocolate ice cream helps me!
reggieb
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 8:10 AM
I had the same problem until I had my daughter diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 5. My daughter is now 8 and she has been on medication the entirer time. She is also in therapy. The dr would not put her on med unless she was in therapy. The therapy helps alot. They show her how to control them selves, the right way to show her anger .  I also receive therapy  to help me get my frustration out and for me to  learn ways to deal with my daughter. You need to find a local support group of parents that have children with ADHD. Go to www.chaad.org this is the website for the C.H.A.A.D (Children and Adult with Attention Deficit hyperactivity Disorder) organization. This website can give you were your local chaad support group meets. This group is very helpful. Good LuckLaughing
emo_kisses_4_u
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 9:02 PM
i have ADHD so does my cusin. i kno this may sound really bad but serosly dont put your kid on the meds for ADHD. my cusns where on it when they where growing up and now there drug aditcs(sp). every1 i kno thats been on the meds  do drugs. my parents didnt put me on the meds. the best thing i can tell you is to tel you daughter  run around out side and everything when she gets really hyper just let her go play. but not give her sugar. it gets them worst im not saying take all sugar away just dont give them a lot of candy ..  hope this helps you any more ?ons just ask me
dawninFL
by on Apr. 15, 2007 at 8:11 AM
Get support in your local area, other moms with kids who have similar disabilities.  Honestly, an entire new world will open up to you and for you.  My father-in-law is in denial that my son Zachary, 2, has any issues, blaming it on  "being a boy".  Where do you live?
Dawn
dawninFL
by on Apr. 15, 2007 at 8:13 AM
I like the hot baths and chocolate.  I too take baths to unwind.  Massages help too, when you can get one in.  I've also been told that facials, manicures and pedicures work wonders, but I've yet to get one.  Arranging childcare and $$$ for the expense have me at a standstill, and the time to go and get one... 

Have a great day.
Dawn
krbabybear
by on Apr. 15, 2007 at 8:44 AM

Hey  just wanted to say hello and that I have a child with adhd and there are days when I just want to scream...My family told me that the only reason I was giving her the medicine was cuz I didnt want to have to deal with her and if I was any kind of a mom then I wouldnt put her on anything cuz she was just a child going through life.... But the medicine did alot of good she is now going to be starting high school and her grades r good and she wants to be a VET when she gets out of school....She is also going to counseling which has also helped....SO KEEP UR HEAD UP UR DOING A GREAT JOB AND KNOW THAT WE ARE ALL HERE FOR YOU....

poizndmommy
by on Apr. 16, 2007 at 2:05 PM
PLEASE TELL ME MORE ABOUT HIS ACTIONS, SO FAR HE SOUNDS LIKE MY 6 YR.OLD MAYBE I SHOULD TRY CONCERTA?. SO FAR HE IS ON PAXIL ...NOT REALLY HELPING
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)