Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 11:23 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 227 Total Views
My 5 yr old has just recently been diagnosed ADHD and is on adderall XR.  shes been on the medication for almost 2 months now and just recently started group therapy.  My problem is this.  My gut instincts as a mom tells me there is something more going on.  She has major emotional breakdowns at least once a day.  She doesnt get her way she breaks down.  If something breaks she breaks down.  Someone doesnt play with her she breaks down.  She has a tendency to interrupt when she isnt suppose to(especially at school) if we tell her to wait she breaks down. She is just a very emotional child.  My gut is telling me something more is going on and obviously im gonna call her doctor on monday and she has group therapy on monday and so far the only thing that has happened in group therapy is her talking out of turn.  Anybody out there dealing with the same thing with their ADHD child?  Should i be having her tested for something else?  Thank you for your time.
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lisarose45
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 12:20 PM
http://www.cafemom.com/group/656/boards/read.php?post_id=116352

yes that is all "Normal" but as you'll see by reading the posts from the link above there is usually more then just ADHD/ADD .Come read.We all really feel you pain.
toylady
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 2:15 PM
I can really relate - my 5 year old son totally overreacts when he doesn't get his way, particularly at school - perhaps because he's feeling more stress there than at home. It's not that he's demanding things and not getting them - it's that things around him are out of his control. Playtime is over and he wants to keep playing is the biggest one. After a year of preschool, he has still not adjusted to that - to be able to move on when the bell rings. The other kids see him as a "cry baby" and tease him because he's such an easy target - the slightest poke or funny look might lead to a meltdown. I'm taking him for evaluation, so I don't know yet what they'll find. Just wanted to let you know you're sure not alone there.
Momto2boys78
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 2:59 PM
Maybe he or she have a ODD.. have her or him take to doctor for evaluation.

Be sure always write journal about your child when that meltdown or breaking down occured, write of how it occured and why etc.. so that the doctor could read and see how often that have been occuring.

Amy
jenzachjoel
by on Apr. 17, 2007 at 10:09 AM
My son is exactly the same way and a couple of counselors later they believe he is bipolar but are not willing to diagnose him with that because of his age. ADHD has been ruled out because of his apparent superior verbal memory skills. I understand what you are going through with the constant breakdowns. My husband is BP and currently on meds that are extremely helpful, off them he is very emotional as well, but he gets angry or overly stressed when he feels out of control.
I am here if you want to talk somemore.
ADDmom3
by on Apr. 18, 2007 at 10:34 PM
ADD/ADHD almost always comes with what doctors call a co-morbidity.  It just means that there are other issues/conditions associated with the ADD, like depression, anxiety, or learning disabilities.

I would guess in your daughter's case that maybe she has some anxiety associated with the ADD, and I would surely trust your gut - always.

Kids with ADD tend to be more sensitve than other kids anyway, so that could be a part of it.  Also, kids with ADD are emotionally immature - as much as 2-5 years less than their actual age - so you have to keep that in mind.

In addition, they have problems transitioning from one thing to another.  When my kids were younger, I found it helpful to give them several warnings in advance - "it will be time to clean up soon", "in 10 minutes you have to clean up", etc.  This helped ease them into what was next instead of springing it on them suddenly.

As far as interuptting, it's an ADD thing.  As she gets older, she can continue to work on it, but it will probably always be an issue for her.  I still do it, and I'm way older than she is Wink

Hope this helped.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)