• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A mom with a Bi-Polar teen

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 8:29 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 1058 Total Views
Hi! I am a mom to a 3 girls. My middle daughter was diagnosed 2 years ago as being bi-polar and also sufferes from anxiety. It was a very long process to have her diagnosed. She was fine one minute, then the next, she was yelling, screaming and fighting anyone she could--even her little sister was beaten on by her. Then she started running away from home and stayed gone for days on end. Of course, we would report her as a run away every time, and of course, the police didnt take it seriously. She started doing drugs and when she ran away, she was hitching rides with total strangers. We got her into counselling, and the cousellor told us she could no longer see my daughter becasue she was refusing to talk at all. So, we went to her school, and tried her church. No one could or was willing to help her. Then the day came when she threatened to kill us all. I took her straight to the hospital, and they admitted her. That was 2 years ago. They diagnosed her with bipolar and put her on 1500 mg of Lithium. OMG, it worked wonders. We had our old Amanda back. It was great. She came home after 4 weeks and all went well for a while. Then she started refusing to take her meds. She kept saying she felt fine now and didnt need them anymore. When it would come time for her to see her therapist, she would take off. So, once again, we were walking on egg shells. Never knowing what would set her off or when. We would all be sitting around joking, then a look would come over her and she'd go off on a rampage. It got so that I could never leave my youngest alone with her. I feared for her safety.
I went through all the channels again to try to get her help. Again, no one was willing. So, I took it to the state. She was skipping school for weeks at a time. When she was in school, she was getting suspended for fighting and disrespecting the teachers.
We went to court and the judge gave Amanda a social worker, and a juvenile probabtion officer. Amanda thought it was a big joke. After 2 months, the PO sent her back to court. The judge then awarded the state custody of Amanda. Here in West Virginia, there are no programs for adolescents under the age of 14. And if they are over 14, the child must consent to be put in a mental hospital. Of course she wouldnt consent, so the state took her out of state to Pennsylvania. She has been in a treatment facility since December 28, 2005 called KidsPeace. It has worked wonders. She is on Seroquil and Lithium now. She has learned how to cope with her illness and she now realizes what she has done was wrong. She has apologized to everyone. She made it to stage 4, the highest you can go in this place. She has had 6 home visits, and all of them have gone great. Her release date is June 2007. We will get custody back then too. She knows she will need meds all her life.

It was a long hard road, but hopefully, we wont make any U-Turns when she comes home. She is 15 now. Her behavior started when she was about 12.

Thank you for reading my book!
Pam
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
dianawith2
by on Feb. 27, 2007 at 5:57 PM
wow, i give you credit for all i dont know if i chould handel that.. my little girl was dx with bipolar but we dont think that what she has we think she has oh my god adhd. but there are times she has masive mood swings. but good luck
jalex
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:26 AM

You have had a rough time, Pam.  You are doing a great job ;)

springfever1971
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Hi I know what your feeling i have a sixteen year old son who is bipolar he was diagnosed at 13 it has been a rough road for you and i can only pray you stay on this path best of luck to you all JoAnn

jalex
by on Aug. 31, 2011 at 5:18 PM

That is a long and hard road that you have been on!  My son is 11 and starting to be resistent to taking his meds.  I worry about his future.  I am so glad that she is doing much better and things are going well for your family!

cameon
by on Sep. 1, 2011 at 9:02 AM
That sounds exactly like me as a preteen-teen. I'm 37 now. Turns out I was just abnoxious. I grew out of it around 16. Those are some serious meds she's on. I wouldn't assume she's bipolar. I would let her go off her meds with the help of doctors and counsellors and your support with the understanding that she'd need to go back on them if she reverted to old behaviors. Sometimes hormones do crazy things. She may have levelled out by now. I'm definitely not bipolar. I don't even get depression. Yikes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)