Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am new

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 12:49 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 248 Total Views
I have been so stressed for the past 3 years.  I finally decided to search online for some other parents that may be dealing with what I have been dealing with.  I think I have found what I am looking for.  Please allow me to give you a brief overview of what I am going through.  I have two children and each of them have different diagnosis.  My son is 10 years old and was first diagnosed with mild ADHD and Depression 2 years ago.  The doctor put him on Adderall.  It turned out that his ADHD was mild enough that the medication was causing psychotic outbursts that forced me to have him put in a psych hospital twice in '06.  Finally the hospital diagnosed him with Bipolar and medicated him for that, immediately stopping the Adderall.  For that most part he is doing much better.  Then I have my daughter who is 8.  She was diagnosed with severe ADHD just before she turned 5 and the doctor put her on Adderall.  She did pretty good for awhile.  After a few months the outbursts and back talk came back with a furry and so did my stress level.  The doctor then told me that she was also ODD.  I had no idea what the was, and I am still a little confused about it.  Now, 3 years later, it seems like nothing is working for my daughter.  She is doing poorly in school, even though she is a very smart child.  She can't seem to do what I think are simple tasks at home like cleaning her room or doing more than one page of homework.  I am at my whits end and just want to cry all the time.  My baby girl has never like being in crowds, including a class room setting.  She doesn't even interract with party guests at her own birthday party (she just had one a couple of weeks ago).  I am so sorry I am so long winded, I just don't know what to do.  Thank you so much for reading this. 
Terri
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 12:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
DarlingCNDNGirl
by on Mar. 7, 2007 at 9:44 AM
Your situation with you son reminds me of the one that I went through. My son was on Dexedrine to start at the age of 7. It made him hallucinate and think things were eating at his skin. I took him off then at 8 they put him on Ritalin and he was doing fine at the beginning then he became so angry so they added Clonodine  to the mix. That just made it worse. He also became hospitalized, which at that time they took him of the Clonodine and put him on Prozac.(He had just turned 9). He then was hospitalized once again for attempting to hang himself.  It was then that they realized he may be bipolar, they put him on Lithium and Olanzapine which seems to be helping. He has been in a treatment home or center for the last 8 months to stabilize his mental health and medication.

Your daughter sounds like my daughter as well. My daughter is going into a treatment center as well for a full assessment. They are now thinking that she may have bipolar as well and she is older then my son. I hope that you can find some peace with your daughter soon. If you need to talk just leave me a message I have big shoulders.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)