Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to the group and here is our story. My three yr. old may be bi-polar

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 1:48 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 144 Total Views
Hello all.  A quick back ground. My "SS" daughter is three may bebi-polar. BM is bi-polar (but denies this). I am very familiar with the symtoms as I watched her BM go throught the cycles.

The symptoms started in January. She would have "bad" day here and there where she would not eat and was very whiny and "lazy". But as the months went by she has gotten worse. her bad days come for 2-4 days. She wakes up crying and refuses to eat anything just sits at the table and cries. Then she will go to her room and stay in bed all day and sleep on and off. She is potty trained but on her bad days will not go to the bathroom. And forget about getting her involved in daily family life. Then these days are followed by a day to of being very hyper and very talkative.

Yesterday she had her first visit with child psychiatry. They are going to do a two hour extensive interview and watch her behavior. 

Over the last several months my DH and I have tried all sorts of different methods of getting her out of her moods. but nothing has worked.
I figured that after this visit I would feel better but I almost cried as we walked out of the doctors office. They will know more about what plan they are going to have after her two hour visit. they asked us how we felt about meds and I told them we just want her to have a good quality of life what ever that may bring.

I am not whining nor am I begging for sympathy. I just looking for other families that can help.
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
jinxmom
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Seeing that it runs in the family IMHO you are doing the best thing for her by seeking psychiatric help. Its not easy seeing someone so young and someone you love go through this.  You said you believe her mom is bipolar.  It is a strong possibility that she has it, so seeking help is of the utmost importance and you are doing that.  I'm sure they wanted to know how you feel about meds b/c she is so young but if there is a possibility that she might harm herself or others you have to do what you think is best.  Meds maybe a possibility, its about her quality of life.  I don't know of alternative tx for bipolar for ex natural remedies etc.  My dd 13 has adhd and not thrilled about putting her on meds, I did so b/c she was failing in school b/c she just couldn't focus, and couldn't retain what was being taught.  Yes there (if you share the info) will be those who frown on you if you give her meds but believe me if these people haven't walked in your shoes then they don't know what you are going through or have been through.  All this to say just love her unconditionally and never give up on her b/c she didn't ask for this and neither did you. 
AspenLM
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 4:31 PM
I walked out of the office yesterday with such a mix of emotions. I am 8 mo. pregnant and at times feel so over whelmed by her emotions and tht I am doing something wrong. I want to fix this before it gets to far.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)