Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here and I have a question... a couple actually...

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 3:03 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 178 Total Views
Hi everyone, I've got a question for ya'll. My oldest daughter Jenna has an auditory processing issue along with a speech delay. She is receiving speech therapy along with some OT. Jenna was in preschool for 2 years, in part to recieve the speech therapy, but also just get her with other kids her own age. We always recieved conflicting reports from her teachers on her behavior, or at least the degree of the behavior. Her morning teacher would always go on about how terrible she was, but the afternoon teacher said it wasn't nearly as bad in her classroom.

Recently at her kindergarten physical the doctor said she had ADHD and that we should give her month of school, and if she couldn't focus to put her on meds. This blew me away, because up to this point, he had never mentioned anything like this. She does show signs of ADHD, but I am worried about medicating her. She has seen a developmentally psychologist, and he didn't say anything about ADHD. In fact he said, she was improving and that unless something major set back occured that he wouldn't except to see us anytime soon. I don't want her to be a disruption in the classroom, but I don't know about medicating her.

Her speech therapist said with a sensory diet and certain guidelines she should be fine at school. The only good thing is my mom is a teacher at her school so she can make sure things Jenna is recieving those requirements. Although she seemed to be pushing for medication.

It's all very confusing. Also, does anyone have some suggestions for explaining her learning disability to my husband. I don't think he understands if completely, and I don't think I am explaining to where he could start to understand. He is technically Jenna's stepfather, but he's the only dad she has known, and I want them to be able to communicate.
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 3:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Julmomto5
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 8:08 AM
Wow, you are in a difficult spot now. I would certainly wait. I am not against medication, my daughter is medicated. I am against doctors giving medication when the aren't totally sure what illness the child has. I would do some research, see more doctors, get more advice from people who have lived what you are dealing with. In our case, my daughter was put on the WRONG medications at a young age and it only made things worse.

Pleas feel free to contact me privately. We have been through a lot, from
wrong diagnosis, to wrong meds, to school issues.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)