Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newbie, my son is Bipolar

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:02 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 175 Total Views
Hi, my name is Kelli, mom of 7 kids in AZ. My youngest son was diagnosed with Bipolar 3 years ago.  He is now 8. I was told then that this may not even be the right diagnosis for him because Bipolar usually isn't diagnosable in kids under 10.  I am staring to believe this to be a true statement! I don't even know where to begin with this. Rudy has been in school for 3 years now (K-2) starting 3 rd grade in a few weeks.  I am truly worried about how this school year is going to be.  KG and the 2nd half of 1st grade were okay. 2nd grade was just horrible!  His behavior, he actually ran away from school and we couldn't find him, had to call the police etc.  Found him in an alley not far from my home, he was going to wait til school was out and come home.  <sigh>  His behavior is slowly escalating from bad to worse.  He was on Abilify, not working.  He was on Geodon, OMG.  Worse.  He doesn't go back to the Dr. until Aug. 3rd.  At which time I will ask about his moodiness and aggressiveness etc.  
right now, I am actually trying ANYthing!!  I had read in a few different articles that fish oil would help.  Well, I started him on that yesterday, along with a multi vitamin, and he fell asleep.   ??  It doesn't help that he gets agitated with his siblings, rather quickly.  They antagonize him sometimes, and there are other times where he'll just walk up and hit them.  For no reason.
I can't tell you how many windows we have had replaced because he has thrown something through them.
Anyway, I hope I didn't yak your ear off, (so to speak) and I hope to find someone here that was or is in a similar situation. 
I can't wait to meet you all!
Thank you,
Kelli
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jinxmom
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:13 PM
Hi and welcome

Have you had him tested for any other disorders? adhd? odd? I haven't dealt with bipolar but know that meds work (if the right one is found) for some and they have to take them.  If the meds aren't working maybe it's something else which is why I suggested having him tested for other disorders.  Diagnosing him for bipolar at such a young age is very disheartening I'm sure for you.  I guess the next ? would be does it run in your family or his dad's? Adhd? Not sure if I have helped but I do think you need to get 2nd opinions.  Hope this does help and I hope I haven't offended you by asking if any disorders run in the family, it wasn't my intention.  The majority of these diseases are genetic.
misskelli
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 2:29 PM
oh no no, no offense taken.  I *think that his father has un diagnosed Bipolar.  He is completely moody, it's scary.
I was also told when he was diagnosed, that Bipolar will "run with" ADHD or ADD.  And I can see the adhd in him.  I am just at a loss, and I am stressed out about the school year.  So many things happend this past school year.....  I am probably best friends with the principal.  Sad.
Kelli
jinxmom
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 3:58 PM

My dd 13 has adhd but I haven't noticed any other disorders in her like odd, bipolar etc.  She has classic adhd symptoms since she was younger (diagnosed at 10).  IMHO have him tested for adhd from what I have heard the tx of the adhd (if you choose meds, my dd takes med for her and I didn't want to but it helps her tremondously in school) that the other sx will either get better or worse and meds may be needed for both.  I'm really not sure on this b/c they are taking meds for them both so don't really know how the meds interact.  Maybe the meds don't interact well and that's why some get worse.  Umh Prayer helps also, I'm truly blessed b/c my dd is adopted and I don't know anything about her biof and little about her biomom and that's only if she was telling the truth, you know.  Anyway, I hope things work out for you and just keep searching for help for him, something will work out.
sunnymom3
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 4:25 PM
My son was also dx'd with bi-polar and he is only 5. He's already been on risperdal, Lamictal, and depakote. None of which worked for him, and in some cases...made his issues worse. Oh, and he also has autismm

His pyschologist just prescribed albify, and geodon...but I am hesitant to try them on him as he's been thru so much already. He is also moody, aggressive, and often times just plain angry...for no reason...all day long. It's tough on the entire family, and my heart breaks for him.

I am actually considering going the homeopathic route. It's time for a change, and since traditional medicine is not working...why not?! Maybe this is something for you to look into as well? Hope this helps!

Shannon!

Mommy to Mackenzie, Colin, and Grace.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)