Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Non medication solutions for ADHD

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 2:04 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 231 Total Views
  My 7 year old son has ADHD & I am having trouble dealing with him. I could handle his behavior fine before, but I have 3 younger kids & my twins just hit the terrible twos running & have yet to stop. lol.  We don't have insurance right now & can't afford medication. I was wondering if anybody had some suggestions on how to deal with the ADHD without using meds.
  My sons biggest problem is impulse control. He isn't aggressive he just makes poor decisions. If an idea pops into his head he instantly does it. Today he was trying to get on the roof & 10 minutes after I told him not to he was throwing baseballs at my van. He just doesn't think things through. He also has no ability to listen. I have to repeat everything multiple times everyday. You would think after being told everyday of your life for not to do something you would remember it. I have to tell him everything slowly step by step in great detail in order for him to be able to complete even the smallest task. If I don't constantly move him from one organized activity to another he gets in trouble.
   I would appreciate any advice on some ways to deal with this.

by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
HealthierHolly
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 2:18 AM

I just posted a comment about this earlier this evening, this is what I wrote...

My son Steven, who is now 13, has been quite a challenge. He started throwing violent tantrums before he could walk. He has a severe attention deficit. He needs to be redirected, constantly, even for the simplest  assignment. he distracts himself constantly by fidgeting with things. He also had a speech impediment that made communication more difficult and frustrating. He would throw fits at home and school if someone tried to make him complete an assignment.

My husband and I were extremely uneasy about the idea of putting him on medication. We had him placed in special education classes, which did make some difference. About a year ago my husband and I started him on a nutrition regimen that has truly changed our lives. Steven is reading and writing better than he ever has. He is helpful and willing to do what is asked of him at home and at school. He is expected to be grade level and return to regular classes by the time he reaches high school. 

I don't want to make it sound as though everything is perfect, because we still have challenges, but we were able to make a real difference without resorting to medication. 

I realize a lot of parents, have family physicians that they truly trust. It may not even occur to some that we have the final say, when it comes to what is put into our children's bodies, or that there would be any reason not to give them the medications. But I remember the difference in my brother when he was put on Ritalin. I've experienced enough to question things.

I'm sorry if I'm to long winded....I just want parents to know there are other answers, if we ask the right questions 

RoxyLopez
by on Aug. 3, 2007 at 11:58 PM
This sounds just like my situation. My son who will be 6 in October was just diagnosed with adhd. I have the prescription but am afraid to start the meds. They have some scary side effects.He is not aggressive hes just everywhere!There are programs through your local department of human services office to help you get health insurance for your children.I am a single mom and even with health insurance the meds and dr visits are quite spendy. The state programs would pay part or all of the costs depending on your financial situation. Good luck and god bless!
boysRgross
by on Aug. 4, 2007 at 12:55 AM
I have two boys, 7 and 4, who are both ADD. My oldest boys did awful for the first half of first grade when we decided to put him on meds. We also started a nutritional program at the same time. Well, we had almost instant success, but later decided to take him off the meds and just keep him on the supplements. He is doing great. We still have our moments, but don't all kids? If anyone  interested I can send you a copy of the program that we are using. It has made a huge difference for the whole family. I strongly recomend it.
SueLynn
by on Aug. 4, 2007 at 11:54 PM
Yes I would really appreciate hearing what you are doing non-medication wise. Our Grandson will be 5 on Mon. He also has been diag. adhd. I`m wanting to know anything to do other than meds. at this time. At least to give it a try. Thank-you .

Sue Lynn
ksmomof4
by on Aug. 6, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Your son sounds just like mine!! He is not aggressive and he does not have a hyper active issue any more. He was dx with ADHD at 4 and then it was later changed to just ADD. I did not want him to be a zombie on meds and tried very hard to work with his doc. He is now on Stratera and it is not a Ritalin type med and seems to be working very well.

Non med things I have done
1. I email his teacher weekly for updates and ideas
2. when he was younger I had him pulled out of the class for one on one time'
3. I make chore lists so that he can refer back to them and not have to ask 100 times what he should be doing.
I try to have a routine for him about his day. it has helped so much as he has gotten older.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)