Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleep issues

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 10:18 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 746 Total Views

My daughter has been diagnosed with severe combined ADHD and Bi-polar disorder.  Her sleep is awful.  Is there any other parents out there that find themselves in this situation?  What do you do?
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:24 AM
My daughter has ADHD and she has the hardest time falling alseep ...she is up till midnihgt some nihgts plus she didn't start sleeping throught he nihgt till she was 3 years old and she still getting up in the middle if the nihgt sometimes.  we just keep telling her to go back to bed and just lay there till she falls alseep.
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:34 AM
My son had ADHD combined type.  He can go days without sleeping.  We talked to our doctor about it.  At first we started out with 1 pill of benadryl, then 2.  That didn't work.  Then the doctor put him on Trazadone, which is considered an anti-depressant but is mainly used to help people sleep.  We started off at 50 mg, then 75 mg, and now he is taking 100 mg.  Although for most people it kicks in very quick, it still takes about an hour for it to kick in with my son.  But it does help him fall asleep and stay asleep.

Other things I have done is remove as much stimulation as possible at bedtime.  (tv, radio, etc)
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:53 AM
My 7 1/2 yr old was diagnosed Bipolar/adhd, now I'm being told he might be autistic and adhd. We just added (because of the sleep thing) 18mg concerta a.m and 18mg of concerta in the afternoon with Zyprexa for sleep. Before that his DR said to try Melatonin (over the counter) it worked great at first but like the other posts he kept getting used to the does, we've also tried Allergy med, when he gets to the point where he's gone with about 24hrs of sleep a week I give him Nyquil because I just know he's gonna get to the point where he's going to end up in the E.R again over a BIG TANTRUM. If he has no activity at all which means I have to be driving. His pill will kick in and he'll sleep from 8/9pm to 6:30am. I wish every night was like this. Good luck.
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 7:59 AM
OK....This is right down my alley! I have a 4 yr old son who does NOT sleep! He fights and fights with us, and now he is on Clondipine(???SP??) which is supposed to help him stay asleep? NOT WORKING!!!! UGHHHHH! Believe me, it is very common, and my prayers are with you. His Doctor told me to let him scream and put himself back to sleep, but that works like slapping a screaming pig with a wet noodle! Now my "Great hubby" (loosely termed) told him to come into our room when he is scared instead of screaming.....I've awoken to him 6 mornings in a row now........Great thinking DAD!
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 10:30 AM
Update.......Well I have spoke with her doc, once again.  I tell ya if this child ever sleeps normal I will be amazed.  We are going to try her on yet another med.  She has clonapin and that didn't do a thing.  She has tried clonadine and it worked for about 3 years and now all of a sudden it stopped working completly.  I think the problem is she needs something that she cannot fight.  She needs something that will just knock her out.  Well last night was the first night with this new one and it didn't really seem to do a thing.  I was told to give it four day so four days it will get.  After that I am supposed to double the dose.  If that don't work then I have to take her to Primary Childrens Hospital for a sleep study.  I have this feeling that is precisly what is going to happen.  She just fights sleep way too well.  Now she has it stuck in her head that she sleeps better if she sleeps with me.  So for the past months (somewhere around 6) I wake up to my daughter in my bed.  LOL  I have tried soothing music, nature sounds on CD, self hypnosis, you name it.  :)
by on Aug. 3, 2007 at 12:08 AM
My son has  bipolar and when he did not sleep was when he was at his worst.  We had to take all stimulation out of his room i.e. tv/radio and had to replace with relaxation tapes half hour before bed.  Needed to keep a strict bedtime and night time routine.  At times that helped but we had to eventually go the to MD for med to help him sleep.  I do know that sleep is very important part of keeping his moods steady.  Hope this helped a little
by on Aug. 3, 2007 at 12:15 AM
I don't know how old your child is, but my 11 yr old son has had many sleep issues.  He was diagnosed as ADHD and bipolar three years ago.  We have found that he generally falls asleep 90 min - 2hrs after he takes his med. 

We have him take his meds at the same time - 7pm each night.  (In addition to his prescription meds,  he also takes 3mg of melatonin every night)  We also follow a strict btime routine.  He goes to his room at 7pm - to watch TV, play games, etc, til 8:00.  Then it is quiet time.  He can read to himself or I read to him.  We have found so much success in a consistent bedtime routine.    Remember that TV and video stimulate  the kids and will delay BT.  They will fight the meds to stay awake to finish.

Hope this can help you!
by on Aug. 4, 2007 at 1:29 PM
Both my sons have sleep issues n have been tried on everything then a dr. told me about MELANTONIN and u can buy it at GNC only costs like 5$ and its a vitamin also n that seems to work if anyone wants they should try it..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)