Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do u guys have trouble at the schools

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 6:37 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 198 Total Views
just to let u know my son is getting out of hospital they have changed some of his meds my problem is im scared to put him back in public school he was picked on and teased last yr  by a kid that is bigger than him im worried that the same thing is going to happen i tried to see if his old school would let him come back even though we dont live near the school  and had to move 2 town do i home school him or do ijust go ahead and put him back in school and pray that everything goes ok 
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Rikki40515
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 7:00 PM

How old is your son?  Does he have an IEP?

My son had this problem in the 5th grade and his teacher kept saying it was no big deal.  After the other boy hit my son in the mouth, I called the Vice-Principal and told him that I would no longer tolerate my son being abused by his classmates.  If it happened again I would tell my son to punch him back.  The vice princpal agreed he did not have to stand there a take a beating, but when the they talked to the teacher she took it out on my son.

It took several months before my son would stand up for himself, but when he finally did, he and the other boy became friends.  Go figure.

If your son does have an IEP, have something in it that he is to be protected or make it very clear to the school that if your son has to defend himself, you will hold the school libel.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents.

sunshine68680
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 7:27 PM
I had a similar problem my son was being bullied on the bus by different kids and I told the bus driver, the teacher , and the counselor at his school it wasnt until my son punched one of the boys in the eye and got a refferal that the school did anything about it so my son ended up being the bad guy. Th childs mother came to my house yelling and screaming and calling me names. It was a mess I feel like the public school system does not function well dealing with these situations, I have thought about switching schools, but I dont know if It is the right decision he has switched schools alot from us moving so much. Well good luck I think if it is just one child harassing your son then I would keep him at that school and make it clear to them that bullying wont be tolerated. If it is more than one kid and the bullying is affecting his school work then I would way out the pros and cons and consider it. I thought about enrolling my child in karate, not  just to teach him to fight but to help build his confidence. The bullying really hurt his self esteem. Good luck
CHCmommy
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:16 PM
Are you able to homeschool him? I might go that route if I was in a different situation, and if I could handle my little boy...LOL The schools my kids have been inhave always been very diligent about nipping the bullying inthe bud. My son had a boy from his class who would follow him into the bathroom and then stand on the toilet in the next stall to watch him pee or poop. How sick is that? My son was terrified to go to the bathroom at school. The teacher and principle put a stop to that. Good luck with everything.
momof3inpitt
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 10:03 PM
I agree with the first Mom .I'm lucky  my kids school has a zero tolerance for any kind of violence. My sons first year a kid told him that he was going to bring in a knife and kill him. I told the Principal and the kid was kicked out. My Husband got to know the Principal really good. We are up at that school at the first sign of any trouble.We have an IEP for both of are kids. Some of the Teachers have been real pains about my sons IEP. He has a problem with keeping things in order. We got told be the teacher that it's not her job to babysit our son because we asked her to help him make sure he has his homework. Only to find out that 1/2 the kids in her class have a hard time understanding her.So she wasn't happy when the school board told her she had to have a homework sheet made up for the class every week. As far as home school why don't you look at the options and then see what you want to do. In P.A. we have a online school they can do. I thought about it for my son but going to school with all his friends just seems better.  Also with the online school if we decided it wasn't for him we can always put him back next semister. I wish you all the luck
busypddmom
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 10:06 AM

I am a big believer, when possible, of making sure that Thomas, my seven year old with PDD, Bi Polar, ADHD and mildly intellectually challanged, is in with other children to socialize and learn what he can. We have an issues, it seems, every school year of one child being an absolute $#%&**$ towards Thomas. We go in and deal with the situation and get through it best we can. We also always keep things as positive as possible for him. We never ask what he did in school that day we ask "what was your favorite thing in school today" even if his answer is "coming home" that's still something!!! He has a good IEP this year and the staff is bit more equipped to deal with issues now that they have more of an understanding on how he ticks. Last years teacher was just...well not too well matched up for Thom. So I would try to stick it out...but you know what is best for your child!!! Hang in there I know how overwhelming it can be...but worth it in the end. Sorry I went on and on there!!
Liz
HosannMaranatha
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 12:15 PM
Looks like the IEP question  was raised, but also have you considered private school?  If a child cannot make it in public school in Maryland, they have to enroll them & pay for private school.  My son was bussed to a private school about an hour from our house because I invoked the name of "No Child Left Behind" and public school couldn't handle him.

If you already have an IEP & it's not working, I wouldn't necessarily consider changing his schooling due to bullying.  My son deals with that, too, and depending on how you & the school handle the bully, and depending on the damage it's doing to your son (does it devestate him?), you may want to give public school another try.

I'm all for homeschooling, but make sure that if you do that, you make sure to get in a homeschool group so he can work on much-needed social skills!!  I have thought of that very thing after my son was expelled from 6 schools in 2 years.  For a child to be expelled from school in Pre-K and Kindergarten, I figured that trying the public or even private school route wouldn't work for us.  I still think about it, but he is in a school now that is exactly what he needs - a firm teacher, a good friend, and a very communicative school board.  It's awesome, but if you can't find that near you, homeschooling is an option to consider.

Just make sure you're in a homeschool group so he can work on social skills which is just as vital as book education.

c-ya,
  Laurie

check out my groups:
Christians With Questions of Faith (group owner)
Imperfectly Holy Women of God (group admin)
Imperfectly Holy Partners in Christ (group member)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)