Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Milk allergy issues?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:59 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 250 Total Views

Ok, so I have been looking into other causes for ADHD besides genetics. I think Joey may have a milk allergy issue and I was just wondering if any one elses child has this? He hasn't had cereal or milk the last couple days and he has been pretty well behaved, even took a nap on the days he didn't have milk!!! I gave him some cereal this morning with milk and he has been unruly all day long...I am trying to get him to take a nap but he just does things he is not supposed to and keeps up with this horrible attitude. How do I go about figuring out if his problem is due to a milk allergy? He has had lactaid before because of some bouts of toddler diarrhea and if I can recall properly he did alright behavor wise so I am really thinking this is the problem. Any help or information will be greatly appreciated! Thank you ladies in advance!

Dee Dee
We're expecting baby #3!!!

Hoping for pink this time but blue is good too!

pregnancy week by week

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

http://www.babyzone.com/babynames/bnpoll.asp?pollid=130092

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
cutie222
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:29 PM

I am actually having the same problem.  My son gets really hyper when he eats bread.  So I am thinking wheat gluten.  Only thing is I don't notice it with other things with wheat gluten.  So I called the Dr. and he is sending him for some bloodwork to find out what food sensitivies he has.  Someone told me to ask him to do a RAST testing.  But my sons pediatrician said it wasn't to accurate and is having some other tests done.  Call your pediatrician.

motherofhope98
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:52 PM

My son had a RAST test done ordered by an allergist. Ask for IGG & IGE antibodies. Ask for all findings.  Turned out my son is sensitive to cow's milk, eggs, wheat & soy; the main ingredients in a lot of foods.

We use Rice Dream rice milk now. The kids can't tell the difference on cereal.

Rebecca, Jordan Essentials, I.R.

Support your local economy. Buy from direct sellers & local farmers.
www.michigandirectsellers.com

PaulaB36
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:04 PM

It's funny you say that you suspect your son has a milk allergy.  I swear my daughter would jump around like daffy duck after she ate ice cream. After trying ADHD medicine for years and noticing a decline in my daughter's sleeping, eating, behavior and noticing she always laid in the couch had no energy and very depressed I had to find out what could be wrong. I had her tested a few months ago and came across MANY allergies after my daughter was tested.

She is allergic to Milk, soy, egg whites and numerous of other things. After starting an elimination diet I noticed that milk was a BIG issue. She would get hyper after having milk and the hyper would turn into extreme irritability and depression like behaviors.

We currently still give her products with milk in it but stay away from glasses of milk, puddings and some cream soups.

I suggest trying a casin free diet for a week.

Good luck.

babygurl29406
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 11:51 PM

My ADHD/ Bi-Polar  DD gets really worse when she has MSG (mono-sodium glutamate).

I have completely took it  out her diet and she has been better. I let her have chips (the kinds she really wants that has it in it.) or stuff like that every once in awhile. But if she has more than one helping in a day or every other day then she is a pure hellion.

Plus she was allergic to milk when she was a baby. She can have it now. I wonder if it causes anything with her mood. I'll take her off of it for awhile and see what happens and get back with ya. I never thought it could be part of the problem, but we will see. Thanks for asking that question. I can't wait to find out the answer with mu DD

mcquistionmom2
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Ok, so I stayed away from milk for Joey yesterday and he actually did a lot better. He had some issues here and there but for the most part he was fine. He did have some toast with butter on it though and the butter had some milk protein in it but that was the extent of "milk" he got yesterday. I am wondering how today will go since he insisted on having a bowl of cereal for breakfast...I guess we will find out! If he goes back to acting up today then I am definitely speaking to his doc and therapist about the  possiblity of a milk allergy and if they will order the tests for it to confirm.

Dee Dee

Hoping for pink this time but blue is good too!

pregnancy week by week

RAB818
by on Jan. 11, 2009 at 9:41 PM

I can ask my insurance company, but I was wondering if the RAST testing is covered under insurance?  I think my son has reactions with dairy also.  His ears and cheeks get really warm & red.  He tends to get agitated and more hyper also.

motherofhope98
by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 7:30 AM

RAST testing should be covered. It is just a form of allergy testing.  Skin prick tests only show an allergic reaction. RAST is down  by blood draw. So they can actually see what is in the blood. 

Your body may not completely break down the proteins in certain foods. These proteins then enter the blood stream whole causing mayhem.  Sometimes you can add enzymes specific to the culprit food.  However, they can be expensive. So I have chosen to eliminate the foods instead.

mcquistionmom2
by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I am so frustrated! I called the ped clinic on base to see what they could do to test Joey and they said NOTHING because he is 3!!! They said they won't do testing on a young child like that unless there is an obvious allergic reaction (skin, vomitting etc) and I can't even take him off base because I have to have a referral from the ped clinic to take him off base. Its frickin ridiculous. But I have been giving him soy milk and his mood has calmed down a lot. Even his therapist at his appt last week said she noticed that he was calmer than before (we haven't seen her since 2 weeks before Christmas so its been a good while since she has seen him but he was super hyper and all over the place then).

Dee Dee
Natalie Ann due May 17th 2009!

pregnancy week by week

motherofhope98
by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 10:40 AM

That is very frustrating.  Just because it isn't a life threatening allergic reaction doesn't mean that there isn't a reaction that is interferring with child developement. Is he the only ped on base that you can take him to?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)