Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your child repeat themself?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:40 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 948 Total Views

Ok so my 9 year old son has been diagnosed with ADHD,bipolar, and ODD. we've been through dozens of med changes over the last year...sadly nothing is help. last year he had a bad reaction to concerta. Convulsions,ticks disorientaion...the said he had tardive diskinesia after 48 all symptoms were gone expect the ticks in his hands. but a new thing has shown up and I am very puzzled with it.when he talks. he re-mouths the words..not outloud . and when he is being spoken to he mouths every thing you say to him. he knows he is doing this and says it is "wierd" I'm just wondering does anyone elses child do this with any of the same diagnoses or is this maybe a result of the drug reaction.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
motherofhope98
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:44 AM

My son used to.

Have you had him checked for food sensitivities?  Have your dr or allergist order a RAST test for IGG & IGE antigens.  All it takes is a blood draw. Food sensitivities are not a full blown allergy therefore you don't see a typical allergic reaction.  What you do see are behavioral and learning problems.  This happens because the body doesn't fully digest the prolematic foods before they enter the bloodstream.  Cow's milk & gluten are common culprits.

Once we got the problem foods out of my son's diet, he was a different child.  The only meds he takes are clonidine and melatonin to help him sleep.

Read my journals or pm if you would like to know more.

Rebecca, Jordan Essentials, I.R.

Support your local economy. Buy from direct sellers & local farmers.
www.michigandirectsellers.com

cameon
by on Jul. 13, 2009 at 9:47 PM
My 7 year old was also on Concerta and did the same thing. I'm not sure if it had to do with the meds. He may have started doing that before the meds. But we just took him off. I will keep an eye out to see if he's stopped repeating sentences under his breath.
kecoter
by on Jul. 14, 2009 at 9:57 AM

That is an interesting observation.. My son who is ADHD and possibly bi-polar( his psychiatrist is leaning in that direction and has put him on depakote) does not do that, BUT, my brother as a youngster did the same repeating thing. He wa never on meds though so it may be a characteristic of sorts.. Interestingly, my brother at 35 was dx with depression.  By the way, the repeating has long since gone away...

Kecoter

motherofhope98
by on Jul. 14, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Has he been tested for food sensitivities? 

Ask for a FOOD PANEL RAST TEST FOR IgE & IgG.  All it takes is a simple blood draw.  It could give you the answers you've been seeking.

Rebecca, Jordan Essentials, I.R.

Support your local economy. Buy from direct sellers & local farmers.
www.michigandirectsellers.com

cameon
by on Nov. 25, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Well he's been off the meds for some time now and I still notice he does this from time to time, but not always. I think it helps him stay on the subject (?) and not get distracted with another thought.

mad051102
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 11:43 AM

My 11 yr old who is dx with bipolar.  She has lots of anxiety and attention problems.  She drives us all nuts by repeating everything.  She says individual words over and repeats whole sentences too.  She does say them out loud and not mouth them.   Have you talked to your doctor about it?  Good  luck!! Oh also how long has he been doing it?  It could just be a short term side affect too of a med. 

Tammy88
by on Mar. 21, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Funny you wrote this. I do not have any disorders, bipolar, adhd, ocd nothing at all. But Ive been told my whole life that after I speak, I repeat or mouth the words again and same when someone else talks. My husband says I still do this and laughs at me. I am unaware that I even do this. Funny I guess, so I wouls say not to worry about that particular thing. Just my advice, I assume there are lots of people out there that do this as well...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)