Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does she need a higher dose?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:58 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 217 Total Views

My dd has ADD and is on 25mg. of Straterra/day.  She doesn't have a dr's appt until March, but in the last two weeks she has been going backwards in her progress.  At midterms right before Christmas she had straight A's and today she brought home a 60% on a quiz, she also is very hard to get moving in the mornings and is having some temper issues too.  Oh, and the daydreaming in class and at home is back.  She's not nearly as bad as she was before we started all the schedules, routines and meds, but she has definitely declined lately.  Should I get her into the doc now and not wait until March, or should I just try to deal with it until then?  I don't want to be one of those moms who keep upping the dosage all the time if it's not needed, but I don't want her to slip behind in school again, she just got caught up and was so proud of herself because she thought she was going to make the honor roll for the first time ever.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Shirlgirlie
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 6:04 PM

I don't know if this helps, but some mom's find they can keep the lower dose if they combine the medication with diet.

Fiengold.org is a good reference for this as is Doris Rapp's website.

jacki2007
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 11:22 AM

If you can get into the Dr - I would go - my doctor will talk to me over the phone.

My son is on the daytrana patch....and was having 'breakthru' issues after 18 months on it....so they added a pill to combine.  We found that adderol, concerta and looks like this new pill - makes him real emotional........he's 11  - black belt in karate - and has had meltdowns at school twice in the past week weeks (crys)......it has been months since the last one.

If it were me, I would try a dose and a half - on a weekend day to see how she re-acts (if your dr can't see you).....but I'd look on the internet and make sure she is not on the top dose already.  I would never UP it more than a little......and no, I too am NOT one of those mothers that up doses all the time....or think the drugs solve it all......but it seems like is it a certain combination at certain times.....and changing

It seems like you have to adjust/change meds every 10 months (in our case) - not sure if they build up a tolerance????  Thought it could be growth....my son is getting taller - but not gaining weight....so outgrowing the dose doesnt seem possible for us.

allforthelove
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:44 AM

hi  i would put a call in and see what dr says............sometimes you dont need an apt just a call to say what ot do..........................if your dr  is accomodating thats what i would do.   be careful if you decide to meddle with the meds on your own it can be dangerous. 

as for whats up   my daughter has had to change meds every 6 months or so cause they just stop working,  she builds up a resistance, or the side effects are too sevire.  

she tryed the strattera and it did not work for her.   she just stopped eeating all together. she is now on vyvance.  and adderall together.  the vyvance is supposed to be a 24 hr pill but it is not strong enough for her.  so she supplements with the adderall for at shcool.

my oldest was the most successful on metadate and it was the wonder drug for him for 2 years.  he is now off meds altogether and doing great ( he is 16 and in highschool now)

he is holding great grades and has friends his own age!! !  im so proud of his progress!!

i hope this helped you.  msg me if you want

tina

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)