Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help my DD just got psych eval from school.

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:23 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 171 Total Views

My DD is repeating kindergarten shes been diagnosed with ADHD and anxiety by her pshiatrist.The school did an eval 4 ESE I just got the eval sent to me to arrange a meeting setting up ane IEP but at the same time they say she doesn't need ESE.From what I read in the eval she needs alot of help.Please someone walk me thru this.I am completely lost.

Melissa
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
cutie222
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:40 PM

I'm sorry I can't walk you through it.  I still need help everytime I deal with the school.  I don't know where you live but where I am we have a group called PEP.  Which is a parent advocate group.  I would try and find out if you have anything like that where you are.  My parent advocate walks me through everything and she goes to the meetings with me also.  Some states have a 211 hotline you can call for community services information.  Good Luck.

allforthelove
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:30 AM

hi if you are in CA you should start with asking for a copy of the "parents rights handbook" from your special education department of your local shchool distirict.  another place you might be able to find help is from CHADD.   a naiton wide support group for parents of adhd/add kids.

your childs psycologist might also be able to tell you where to find a "child advocate" who is trained in the laws of education for special needs kids in your state.  this advocate will go to the meetings with you and make sure that 1 you know your rights and 2 you know what you are agreeing to and finaly that it is in the best intrest of your  child not the school to do what is suggested.

do not assume that they will volunteer to do the " right thing " because they will not!!  the districts care about saving money not educating our kids.  my daughter was retained in K becasue she could not write her name fast enough.   she could do the work just not write.  she is add as well. 

do not sign anything you do not understand.  just keep telling them  you dont understand until you do.  if you do not agree to what is decided you have a right to state that on the forms too.

if she does not qualify for an iep ask for a 504  it might be enouh to make them do something for her and it is a formal set in stone agreement.   good luck.

tina

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)