Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Signs of bi polar ?????

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 284 Total Views

I have bi polar and I am wondering what the signs are for children? I have a 4 year old who I feel has some emotional problems.

by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SusanElizabeth
by on May. 25, 2009 at 8:36 AM

All you have too do is go to  type in webmd or type in signs of bipolor or you can type in bipolor test on ur computer to find out

-----
Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/SusanElizabeth
Tinamarie79
by on May. 26, 2009 at 9:12 AM

You can speak to your doctor about it, but at this age they will not diagnose him....Usually a bi-polar child is diagnosed ADHD. My daughter is bi-polar and has been diagnosed. She was born with it. The signs: very little sleeping, extremely active, get angry easily, tantrums that last from 30minutes to 2 hours at a time, maybe more then once a day, throwing or breaking things, hitting people or himself, does everything early, then regresses, will throw out no matter where they are, school, public, home, people's houses, there are a few other things.

At 4 years old my daughter broke the storm door, busted the glass out of my entertainment center, she would have rages 5-6 times a day that lasted 1-3 hours at a time. As a baby she never slept, never took naps, screamed until she threw up if she was not being held and threw out in public, among other things.

They originally diagnosed her ADHD at age 10, after 4 or 5 medicine's for ADHD and respidol had no effect on her, I finally found a psychiatrist who would listen to me and my daughter, he did diagnose her bi-polar and ODD, she is now on medicine that helps her to an extent. All the learned behavior must be unlearned.

Usually they will diagnose the child with a mood disorder, because diagnosing a child with bi-polar will follow them all their lives, when getting insurance, jobs and so on. My daughter however is severe bi-polar. If bi-polar runs in your family there is a over a 50% chance you child may be.

Charmed7up
by on May. 26, 2009 at 11:23 AM

The previous poster gave a great descript of our children at a young age. If you are still concerned, check out A Bipolar Child by Pappalos, it gives a great profile of what the children were like as toddlers. They cross sectioned a lot of mom's who were thinking back, and found these kids have a lot in common from those early years.

Charmed

RaisingDivas
by on May. 26, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Maybe she is not bi polar. I was dianogesed at 13 and was locked up in mental instatutions often. I was on a ton of different meds. My mother and past played a key role in my bipolar. Now that I no longer have contact with my mother the worst of it is gone. I don't remember much of my childhood so I can't compare it to my child. Deppression runs in my family on my fathers side. My daughter throws emotional fits over every little thing. She can get herself worked up and they can last 30 mins. It wont matter where we are. She will scream and almost hyperventalate. She will walk past one of her sisters and just pull on their hair or pinch or push and then smile about it. All of these things have just happened in the past two years and she is only 4. Time outs and spankings do not work. I would like to think that it is just behavior problems. I have always had it in the back of my mind because I know it is genetic. I know no one will look at her so young and I wouldn't want them to. I feel like my meds did more harm then good. I would like to try and treat her naturally first. I just feel like it I could catch it sooner then mine was caught then she would not not end up bashing her head into a brick fireplace untill she was passed out bleeding like I did.

rccmom
by on May. 26, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Have you had her evaluated by a child psychologist?  My son went through anger management training and therapy when he was in K.  He would have fits, put holes in walls, and tore a door or two off of the hinges.  The lady he worked with was wonderful and helped him a lot.  You might want to read The Explosive Child by Greene also.  Your public library may have a copy. Sometimes bipolar and depression are a combination of both genetic and environmental factors.  I had to learn how to effectively parent a child who became enraged so easily.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)