Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bye-Bye Studio

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:00 PM
  • 19 Replies
  • 521 Total Views

Its over, for at least 5 years, and I am ok with it. Let me give you a little back-story:

My husband is in the Marines, and we were scrambling to find a house on/near our duty station. We moved from the midwest to SoCal, and we had no luck house-hunting. The day before the UHaul was due back, we get online only to find a listing for a 5 bedroom house with a Lroom and a family room, and two full baths. We thought we were dreaming. We looked around briefly, signed the dotted line and unloaded our home in a record-breaking four hours. We were ecstatic! The family room was off the living room, hardwood floors, and 20x22, and Shawn said I could use it for a studio. One bedroom was ours, another Claire's nursery, not to mention a toy room, a guest bed and an office for the rest of the 5. We had a big kitchen (with new countertops *on the way*) and a dining room, were we dreaming? We're only 22!!!

Then reality kicked in. We had no gas for the heater or stove, not to mention- no smoke detectors. The countertops never showed up, and two of the bedrooms (office and guest) had no electricity or any form of insulation. We were paying $30 a day to heat our home and cook, using only a little bbq tank we had to refill with propane every night at a gas station. We have lived here nearly 3 months, and our landlord has made no attempt at the smoke-detectors or providing a heat source.

All of a sudden, our daughter's heart issues pop up again, and we are at least a 30 min drive from the hospital. Our dream became our nightmare. So, as a last-ditch effort, we put in for military housing, pleading our case of no heat and a baby with serious medical issues. We go tomorrow to be put on a special needs list so we can move into the next available house on base. We asked our landlord if we could be released from our lease (not up for another 9 months) and he jumped right at it. Care to know why? He is bankrupt and losing his own house, so he had planned on booting us anyway so he could move back into our home!!!!!!!! JACK-ASS!!!!!! (Sorry, but the idea of him making my one year old homeless took every ounce of strength in me, I wanted to beat his monkey-ass.) I doubt we will see our giant fat deposit, though, seeing as he is dirt poor and in bad debt. Which sucks, we could have used it for boxes, and the UHaul, and who knows what else.

Here's why it is over: You can't run any sort of business out of a government owned property. So, while I may do a few freebie sessions a month to keep from getting "rusty", my career is over, for at least 5 years, when my husband gets out, and that's IF he wants out. I am not pushing for him to leave, it is our steady income, and I refuse to jeopardize my daughter's future. I seriously want to egg my land lord's house (among other things I cannot list in a public forum) and CAN"T wait to move to a warm, secure home where my baby is a three minute drive to the proper attention she needs.

Am I sad to hang up my 40D? Well, of course, but as we all know as the wonderful mamas we are, your baby comes first. I feel like I am sliding down a black hole, but finally (FINALLY) I can see a pinhole of light...

*Did I mention my dog attacked my daughter? Yeah, so his rear-end is going to the no-kill animal shelter... stupid little ********! My hubby wanted to shoot him!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leslie_myers
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:26 PM

im so sorry to hear your bad luck. you dont have to give up on your business you could set up your studio in your garage or something and do your shoots at discounted price or for donations or something there are several photographers out here id talk to them and then decide. at least you have your family!

usmcwife1218
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 8:37 PM

My nieghbor does photography out of her house and charges full price, so don't give up the photography others don't.  I know your under a lot of stress, by any chance are you arware of the exceptional family member program.  Pm and I can explain it to you a little more.  Good luck.

Jennifer

mommyhinky
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:11 PM

UGH, and I JUST redid my site so cute! As for still working from home, it's something to look into, for sure, but I will be ok either way, so long as my family is safe and sheltered. Thanks for all your support... anyone want to help me egg a house that is about to be repossessed? LOL

LSalter88
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 12:54 AM

You know I will gladly egg that assholes house. Just tell me when!

mommyhinky
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 1:07 AM

Love you, Linds. Its not like we were ever late on rent, either! Hell, we were early and did SOOO much fixing up to this place. When we moved, one wall in every room was ROYAL BLUE, then he had put in new windows, so white plaster was smeared all over the blue. So we painted it all very neutral warm tones that made it feel cozy and modern. So WTF?! Heartless ass.

mommylisa2
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 2:10 PM

Crazy!  But at least you are getting out of there!  I was scheduled to bring my boys up on the 21st for pictures, but I can cancel if that would take some stress off.  Let me know.

Kimberly_Shaun
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Yep...My neighbor does photography too...it's teh same person mentioned above!  I knew of a couple others that did it too.....

mommyhinky
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 6:42 PM

No, the studio will be the last thing we pack up, and judging by how little help we got at the housing office, I'd say we will be here for another month or so.

Quoting mommylisa2:

Crazy!  But at least you are getting out of there!  I was scheduled to bring my boys up on the 21st for pictures, but I can cancel if that would take some stress off.  Let me know.

charmedpixie
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:35 AM

I would call legal to see what you can do about your deposit seeing that the guy had you living in "unlivable" (no gas or heat) conditions.

mommyG143
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 11:36 PM
THIS REALLY SUCKS!!!! I WAS LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO DO SOME PICS FOR ME!!!!! I REALLY NEED TO GET SOME DONE! PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU DO DECIDE TO DO ANY!!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)