Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Base housing questions

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:03 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 402 Total Views

I was just wondering if anyone could give me info on base housing?

Should we wait for it or just live off base? Our last housing we had to pay for our gas and electric. The house's where built badly and we had a 400 dollar bill in december. Keeping the thermastat at 68, and still just crazy bills it was that way for most. Come to find out the insulation was bad you could litteraly feel a breeze coming from your outlets, it was just ridiculous.

Is it hard to get your kids in daycare? Is there a wait? I have 2 and 1 yr old daughters.

Is there any college classes provided on base? Is there more then one and if so any recomendations?

Thanks for the info!

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Adja70
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:12 AM

there are 2 kinds of housing out here...

On-base & off-base.

If you're not here yet and your husband has his orders already start the application process asap!

The onbase housing is controlled by Lincoln housing and Off base is controlled by the govt.

On base, there's a/c, heating & maitenance that come whenever there's a problem in your house. AS long as I have been living here, we haven't been charged for utilities, they take that out of the bah.  But I have heard around the rumor grapevine that if you go over a certain amount they will make you pay for what you went over.. so far that hasn't happened to us yet...lol

Off base, i can't tell much but from what other people tell me on base is better & convenient. the on  base have garages as well.  but off base have carports and are in the process of adding a/c and heating (from what I've heard)..lol

and as far as childcare, here in our group there are several moms who are certified to watch your kids.. the CDC, i don't know much about.

and there are classes onbase and offbase.  Some are free, but I'd look more into that if you want classes... if you do decide to live on base the wait is a bit more longer than off base..but imo , the wait is worth it, if you have the time and patience... I stayed in my hometown till we got our house...my hubby was at the barracks while we waited and it wasn't that bad. but if you do it asap, it could go quicker. the wait is usually 3-6 months.... good luck mamma and welcome!

RowanAislinsMom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:26 AM

and there are classes onbase and offbase.  Some are free, but I'd look more into that if you want classes... if you do decide to live on base the wait is a bit more longer than off base..but imo , the wait is worth it, if you have the time and patience... I stayed in my hometown till we got our house...my hubby was at the barracks while we waited and it wasn't that bad. but if you do it asap, it could go quicker. the wait is usually 3-6 months.... good luck mamma and welcome!

Thats what I planned to do but for some reason the DH was told there was no GEO Bachelor allowed and he needed to find a place out in town..How wierd right! We applied for housing but we are like 60th on the list ugh! I guess it is temp housing for awhile. Thanks for all the info

Kerry_momof2
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Monaj is wrong LOL ( love you girl) THERE IS NO ME GEO housing!!! they have to get a house out in town!!!!! they are NOT Allow to live in the barracks anymore!!! Now best advise live on base especially with KIDS!!!!! try to find a place out in town that does a month to month lease and just stay there until you get a house on base!!! the list for off base housing which is 801s goes alot faster then on base. But to me on base is better then 801s JMP, now as far as daycare goes there are two kinds there is regular daycare which is like all day there is a very very very long list for that especially being summer. There is hourly care at the cdc, where you pay 3.50 an hour per child and you choose your hours! That is what we do there is no wait i filled out paper on a friday and on monday they went!! I don't believe they do college classes on base, you have to go to the copper mountain college which is about a 20  min drive from base. Have any other questions just ask!!

Adja70
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Oh! Ok I  remember! My bad!lol I just remembered when he was in the barracks while we were waiting they made him move intown with another marine..sorry!:)

braydonsmommy
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Quoting Kerry_momof2:

Monaj is wrong LOL ( love you girl) THERE IS NO ME GEO housing!!! they have to get a house out in town!!!!! they are NOT Allow to live in the barracks anymore!!! Now best advise live on base especially with KIDS!!!!! try to find a place out in town that does a month to month lease and just stay there until you get a house on base!!! the list for off base housing which is 801s goes alot faster then on base. But to me on base is better then 801s JMP, now as far as daycare goes there are two kinds there is regular daycare which is like all day there is a very very very long list for that especially being summer. There is hourly care at the cdc, where you pay 3.50 an hour per child and you choose your hours! That is what we do there is no wait i filled out paper on a friday and on monday they went!! I don't believe they do college classes on base, you have to go to the copper mountain college which is about a 20  min drive from base. Have any other questions just ask!!

Some classes they do have on base, and there is another college on base aswell, I forget what it is called, you'd just have to go to the learning center here on base to get it all situated.

SemperMeGina
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Quoting RowanAislinsMom:

Thats what I planned to do but for some reason the DH was told there was no GEO Bachelor allowed and he needed to find a place out in town..How wierd right! We applied for housing but we are like 60th on the list ugh! I guess it is temp housing for awhile. Thanks for all the info

When you first go on the list you are on an overal list.  Once you get here you get seperated by rank, and house size.  When we got on the list we were like 30 something.  When we checked in, we went to number 3 (and got housing the next day).  I suggest finding a month to month lease place.  Course, I am one of those that base housing is first choice for and has been for 15 years!  I love living on base.  The summer months means high traffic moving time.  So the list could possibly move quicker with all the moves going on this summer. 

RowanAislinsMom
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Thanks so much everyone! I do love living on base so I am going to do as it looks like everyone suggests and temp house it till our number comes up. My husband will be getting me enrolled in EFMP and hopefully that will help :)

The colleges sound like I should come check it out when I get there but thanks for all the info its such a big help to have a heads up on what is there.

I called the cdc yesterday, with no return phone call, is that normal? I am a veteran going back to school in august taking advantage of the new 911 GI bill. It will be the first time away from my kids during the day :(

One last question....is there a VA office on base?

SemperMeGina
by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 11:01 AM

I am not sure if EFMP will help, it did for us (I am EFMP).  But when we were there a year ago, they said they were stopping the priority thing for anyone except for the highest catagory.  The lady said we were fortunate we came when we did because they were stopping it the next month.  But who knows if they really did or not.  This was the first time we had ever gotten priority housing for EFMP.  Our story with getting housing is funny anyway.   Best wishes to you! 

usmcwife1218
by on Jun. 14, 2009 at 3:27 PM

that is correct, unless you are a catergory 3 or 4 with EFMP you don't have any priority.  As for a VA office on base unfortunately no but there is a DAV office and that is located in village center, in the same building as EFMP.  With PCS season in full swing I doubt that you will be waiting very long for a house, it just depends on the rank, and # of dependents.  I do suggest living on base, it is much more nicer, and Lincoln housing is awesome they have a lot of community events they provide just for there residents.  I think it sucks they won't let your husband stay in the barracks, I didn't they changed that.I would even look into the temp lodging on base, it's called the sleepy turtle or something like that.  A good website to get info is the mccs website for 29 palms and then of course the website for 29 palms base.  Good luck with the move and a smooth transition.  We only have 7 weeks left here then we are getting out!!

Jennifer

LSalter88
by on Jun. 14, 2009 at 7:37 PM

I am not a military wife, but I am a college student at the local community college here. Copper Mountain College does offer many courses on the marine base. I know because I was just in one. It depends on the class and the proffessor but they do have them out there. You can go to there website and look at the class schdeule under location it will say MB and a room number and that means that class is on the marine base.  The other ones say something like CMC123 for the courses on campus.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)