Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When to go to ER for anxiety/panic attack... need advice ASAP, other conditions w/ anxiety

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2010 at 3:59 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 12490 Total Views

I just joined the group and I need some help ASAP.  I have severe anxiety, post partum depression, and severe adult ADD.  I'm currently taking effexor XR (after trying zoloft, lexapro, wellbutrin, prozac, and paxil), xanex, and adderall xr.  I just started all these meds about 2 months ago, and I feel much less depressed and way more focused on my schoolwork (I'm getting an associates in paralegal studies online), and manage to get a lot more accomplished.

The problem I'm having is that I had very frequent, severe anxiety and panic attacks.  I'd say at least once a day or every other day.  The doctor told me to take the xanex when I have them, and it doesn't seem to help.  I take the .5 mg ones and have to take 3 or 4 to get a little relief, but it still doesn't help nearly as much as it should.

I also have tachycardia, and my resting heartrate is usually anywhere from 125-145.  One time I had an anxiety attack that lasted 3 hours when I was out of xanex and I went to the ER and my heartrate was 175.  So, I worry that if I have these attacks without relief something serious could happen with my heart.  They gave me 2 of the 1 mg ativan and that completely made the attack go away and made me feel 100% better.

So, now onto my current problem that I need help with ASAP.  I've been having an anxiety attack for about 2 hours.  I felt it coming on all day and took some xanex earlier.  I've taken a total of 3 1/2 and I've gotten absolutely no relief.  I know what brought it on.  My husband is in the army and is leaving for his predeployment training tomorrow and will be gone for a month, and most of that month he won't be allowed to make phone calls.  It also means I'll be here alone with 2 young kids (one of which is special needs), and I'll have absolutely no help and they'll be with me 24/7 since we have no family in town.

I feel like I'm dying.  I'm shaking, shivering, and sweating.  I can't breathe, my heart is beating out of my chest, I'm dizzy and nauseaus, and I just have an intense feeling of fear and panic, and just feel like I'm going to die.

I don't think I can handle this much longer without some relief, and I'm just wondering at what point is it acceptable or normal to go to the ER for this?  I'm thinking about going, but I don't want to be judged or looked at like I'm crazy.  Please give me any suggestions you may have... I feel like I'm dying.

by on Apr. 10, 2010 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Joenanny
by on Apr. 10, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Do you live on base if so they have couselors just for you.  If not call 411 line explaine to them they can also put you in touch a support group but keep reaching out there is help for you we just to find it.  Give some information about  you and don't silp away

Joenanny
by on Apr. 10, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Most ER's have house nurses which means there is someone with the knowledge to say  yes or no and my guess that if you were calm enough to compose and type muti-page email.

Blessings

BaileeMHutsell
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2010 at 4:15 PM

We live off post.  The on post hospital never helps with anything.  They let me sit in their waiting room with a heartrate of 175 shivering, and shaking, shivering, sobbing, everything and I waited 2 hours to be seen while still having an anxiety attack.  They're terrible there. 

Just right now I'm wondering if I should go to the ER for this anxiety attack since the 3 1/2 xanex isn't helping and I can almost guarantee my heartrate is at least 160-170 and it's just not going away.  I don't think xanex is effective for me, and I tried to see both my psychiatrist (who is on post) but he was on leave and my regular doctor, but he was too busy to get me an appointment until wednesday. 

At what point should I be checked out and maybe be helped out with a medication that is effective for me at the ER? 

othermom
by Member on Apr. 10, 2010 at 7:00 PM

I hope that you feel better soon. I wish I had advice to give you, my anxiety used to get really bad sometimes, but not nearly as bad as yours. Good luck. Maybe try calling the er,or calling and seeing if you can get ahold of your doctor, maybe they have an after hours number. It doesn't sound like this medication is much help, but  trying all those diffrent medications in such a short time probbly is not to good either since sometimes it takes a while for your body to get used to it.

GloriaI
by Member on Apr. 12, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Sometimes I feel that it's a waste of time going to the ER.  When I first started having anxiety/panic attacks, I would always go to the ER and they just made we wait for hours in their waiting room and I was never admitted.  Then they would just give me a prescription for some type of anxiety medication and tell me to go see my PCP and to go see a therapist.  Are you seeing a therapist?  I remember when I would get terrible attacks I would call my therapist and she would see me right away and it helped for me to talk to her.  I understand this can be a very stressful time for you.   My husband is in the Marines and he deploys every other year for 7 months for the past 7 years, I get bad anxiety when that time comes.  The way I cope with it is I call and talk to my family and friends and try to stay distracted.  I also go to school so it helps me get my mind off of things.  Do you have any friends around there that can keep you company?  i found it useful as well to have one of the spouses come over and hang out.  If you ever want to talk feel free to PM me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN