Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anxiety hit me last night!

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 9:09 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 199 Total Views
Well it has been since November that I had my last episode. Well last night it hit me hard. In fact this morning I am still feeling some of the effects. I just don't quite know what happened. Everything was fine and then when I went to bed it hit me hard. I had my husband come in because I was scared and I called my father who is a pastor and asked him to pray over me. I am one who believes there is power in prayer. I know I am not feeling well (head cold) but I had shortness of breath, shaking all over, feeling like I could through up and my muscles are feeling heavy. It's almost as if it's a bad adrenalin rush. Never the less I did not get a good quality of sleep.

I woke up this morning feeling like I have been run over by a mac truck. My muscles are feeling heavy and head feels dizzy. I want to cry because I just want it to go away. I know with this I have become bolder with setting boundaries up for myself. I have to tell friends (even if I think they will be mad at me) that there are certain things I can't talk about because it just makes me worry and I think that starts it for me. I try not to get upset but with children and a husband that sometimes is hard to do.

At times I wish there were a time machine that I could travel in and go back and fix whatever set this off in myself. I was just wondering if anyone else is feeling like I am? Is there any help other then medication because that scares me too? I have been on some med. but it makes me not really in control of myself and tired all the time. I just feel helpless. Sometimes I feel as if no one in the world knows what I am going through. I feel all-alone and I know there are other women out there with this but I still feel all-alone. Just want to vent and talk to someone who might be listening.

by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ScrappinGoddess
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 11:01 AM
((((((((((((((((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))
I am so sorry you had to go through that. I hate it when it happens for seemingly no reason.
May I ask how old you are? The only reason I ask is because my anxiety has goten much worse since I turned 40. I am almost 43 now and it is awful. I think hormones play into it a bit. Anxiety and mood swings are symptoms of perimenopause and I am pretty sure I am in that now.

~Bobbi~
FourAnchorsnMe
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 3:04 PM
I know just how you feel! I'm sorry you had a bad night, anxiety is never easy to go through and i know how you feel about taking meds that make you feel "not yourself", in fact those meds for me at least can trigger an anxiety attack because then I am convincing myself that I'm loosing my mind and everyone will think I'm crazy!
Anti-depressants don't work for everyone but if you can find a really mild one at a low dose that does, by all means take it. I wish there was one that worked for me.
The 'sedatives' (benzodiazipines) work wonders for most, Ativan at .05 shouldn't make you tired.

I was going to add that my sister helped my through my first major attack/meltdown by talking to me on the phone for 3 hours, she sat there and babbled on and on without me saying a word....told me to start counting to ten over and over until I could finally fall asleep.  I stll find myself doing that sometimes when I go to bed even though I take Ativan and Klonipin everday....there is something about counting repeatedly that helps shut out other thoughts. (Sometimes I would start out counting so fast I think I could have broke the World Record!)

I'll send up prayers for you!

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
YOU ARE NOT CRAZY!
myJ
by Member on Apr. 14, 2007 at 3:23 PM
Well I kno how you feel.  I will be doing so well and then I will have one.  I had one the other night.  It was not too bad but it was enough.  Im not on meds either.  I used to take clonapin and it worked.  But I wanted to be able to handle it by myself and not have meds keep me from having one.  I have generalized anxiety so I pretty much worry bout everything all the time.  You could always go see a behavorial therapist.  They are supposed to help w/anxiety.  I want to go to one but dont have the time.  I have a new book that I got from the book store.  Maybe you should try that it might help.  I hope I helped you.  If you need to talk Im here.
flightsongmom
by Member on Apr. 14, 2007 at 7:57 PM
I used to be terribly frightened of taking medication as well, but I finally broke down and asked  - it was just getting too difficult to manage; I felt like I was constantly on guard against the panic attacks and I worried compulsively.  A couple of friends were on Celexa and since neither of them had side effects from it, I got up the courage to try it.  Within a matter of days I noticed a major difference!  I honestly don't care if I have to take this forever, because I just can't stand constantly being on edge.  I guess what I'm saying is that a lot of us have been in your shoes - you are definitely not alone!  If you were on med's that made you feel goofy than they just weren't the right ones for you - if nothing else maybe your MD would be willing to give you low dose sedatives for the panic attacks.
Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)