Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bipolar with anxiety and depression after kids.

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 12:39 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 207 Total Views

I guess travelling the planet and living out of a suitcase for a decade isn't how everyone lives but it's how I spent my 20's. I was also a professional singer. I was always a little bit wired but thought nothing of it. I was NEVER depressed. After my first baby my world crashed down around me and all my happiness disappeared. i had BAD post partum depression and anxiety? ME?! Someone who lived in a different state or COUNTRY every year and sang in front of THOUSANDS without fear?! Someone with boundless self-confidence? Very outgoing, friendly, sociable and creative and ambitious? I couldn't quit crying and nearly never left the house. i laid in my bed rolled up in a ball, heart pounding! Wellbutrin worked for me and later I was switched to Effexor which also worked UNTIL I HAD BABY #2. I was given safe breastfeeding antidepressants like Paxil and Zoloft which turned me into a staring zombie. I tried Effexor and Wellbutrin later when I quit breastfeeding after an absolutely AGONIZING YEAR and NEITHER WORKED THIS TIME! My sister Buffy got me doing yoga again and taking extra vitamin B complex, extra D3, extra vitamin C, fish oil and 5 HTP WHICH IS AN HERB WHICH SAVED MY FREAKIN' LIFE! Unfortunately I was only better for 2 months and discovered I was pregnant and had to get off of it. 5 HTP calmed my anxiety, gave me tons of energy, boosted my moods without sending me manic (which a too high dose of Effexor did the second time around sending me to get my first tattoo...a 6 inch butterfly on my back, making me coerce and convince a dozen people at a party to go streak down the street naked in the rain in the middle of the night, I spent $4000 on Ebay in one month and drink more heavily than I E V E R did in my entire 20's!!!!!!!). 5HTP also helped me sleep like a baby and reduced my appetite! I FELT COMPLETELY NORMAL FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THREE YEARS! So now I am back to speaking slowly, slogging around barely able to accomplish anything...terrified to get on any antidepressants because they either don't work, have SEVERE side effects or send me hypermanic! I need SOMETHING! ANYTHING is better than depression! I am SO EXHAUSTED!

by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
EthansNo1Mommie
by New Member on Apr. 24, 2007 at 5:45 AM
I was diagnosed bi-polar after my pregnancy, also.  I'm taking Zoloft for depression and Limictal as a mood stabilizer.  They help, but my anxiety is still through the roof.  My doctor had prescribed xanax, which was perfect for my freak outs, but my shrink took me off of them. What is that herbal supplement you were talking about?? I've never heard of it.  If it works like you say it does, send it my way!!! I'm so tired of feeling overwhelmed! Who knew that those tiny bundles of joy could wreak so much havoc on your emotions!?! When I took the xanax I was able to relax. I didn't feel overwhelmed by everything.  I hate taking the Lamictal.  I was told that it would take anywhere from four to six months before I would feel any different, so what am I supposed to do in the meantime.  I've only been taking it for a month!  Anyway, I'm rambling. I feel like I am right there beside you, hanging in limbo.
maggie11
by Member on Apr. 24, 2007 at 6:55 AM
I have had anxiety /panic attacks  for 15 years.  I too had severe PPO when my second child was born. That is the worse thing in the world. I don't wish it on anyone and can only sympathize with you.  I too took Effexor and found I was gaining weight, the depression changed from day to day, one up and one down.  I took myself off of the effexor and am now taking Lexapro and Klonapin.  The Klonapin helps the immediate anxiety and I seem to be doing great soley on a low dose of Lexapro.  I can say after 15 years things are greatly looking up.  If you feel yourself anxious try reading or a hobby, listening to music you can sing too, I now this may sound dumb but if you can take your mind off of whats going on and concentrate on something else you like, this really seems to help.

I never did crafts in my life, and now find myself working on my house, doing crafts etc.  My husband plays in a band and I guess you could call me a groupie, we were quite wild before my seven year old was born.  I can't say what brought everything on but I can tell you life as you knew it after PPO and anxiety never is the same.  Some of your old self will come back but it seems you just can't get it all back.
creolegirl1222
by on Apr. 24, 2007 at 12:46 PM
hey guys, i also suffer from O.C.D. and bi=polar. i am currently out of medicine and feeling it. i have good days where i feel i'm gonna conqer the world and then i have the manic days where my body just won't stop and i'm so mentally tired. i won't sleep and and i drive everyone nuts. it's only sometimes when i'll actually feel the depression part of the disorder and when i do , i can't even leave the house and i have no energy. prozac made me gain weight,Zoloft made me a zombie. And on my "good" days it's hard to convince me to take anything as i feel nothing is wrong. But i would really really like to know what that herb was u were talking about. Sounds awesome! and natural is good! so please let me know where i might find it and what it is. Thanx in advance
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)