Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who here sees a therapist for their anxiety?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2007 at 11:25 AM
  • 326 Replies
  • 10646 Total Views

Who here sees a therapist for their anxiety? Does it help? I personally do not, but I do know that when given the opportunity to talk about it, it does help me. Would you recommend it to other people?

by on Feb. 16, 2007 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
clairehugs
by New Member on Feb. 16, 2007 at 1:26 PM
I don't see a therapist, but I used to and it was not a good experience for me.  I saw a therapist as a teen and it seemed like they were more interseted in loading me up with meds then listening to my problems.  It was a disaster, I did not do well on the meds at all!

That being said, I've actually thought about going back to a different therapist recently since I've found my anxiety has been worsening lately.  I think the real issue is finding the right one.  Don't be afraid to see different ones until you find someone that you feel comfortable with.  And remember that they are not all knowing and if you are uncomfortable taking meds, I sure am now, you can always say no, I'd rather stick with just the therapy.
goofyrbsn
by on Feb. 16, 2007 at 3:26 PM
I've tried several therapists. They helped, some more than others. But, my biggest help came when I started meds. It has made a huge difference in my life!!!!!
mothermayiam
by Member on Feb. 16, 2007 at 3:39 PM

I saw a great therapist for quite awhile and she is the one that set me on to prozac.  The thing is when I saw her I was very young about 22-23 and I sought her out on my own.  I couldn't afford her and I told her that. She allowed my to rack up a huge bill for which she said I could pay when I could.  I never did and although I feel bad about that now I'm still in no position to pay her back. I stopped seeing her at about 29 and haven't really seen a therapist since.  My dr prescribes my prozac and montior's it.  I am very lucky to have her do this most make you seek therapy from what I am told.

Therapy for me was great.  The #1 thing I took from it was that I have choices.  I can choose to live like the rest of my family, very disfuntional or I can choose to do something productive.  It is not always the easiest path since I have no role model but I'm doing ok thus far.  You have to connect with your therapist.

Savannahs_Mommy
by on Feb. 18, 2007 at 3:02 PM

Just remember there are HUGE differences between Therapists, Psychiatrists, and Psychologists.

I myself have had great luck with all 3, but the Therapists arent as well trained, schooled, or educated as the others.

Id suggest looking into one that specializes in all different kinds of mental disorders.

Comfy
by on Feb. 21, 2007 at 4:07 AM
I did visit a medical therapist (I thought she was a Psychologist when I made the appointment) once for about 2 months.  She didn't really help. No meds were prescribed and it was at a time where I thought meds would do the most good.  I never mentioned meds, she did and suggested I talk to a Pyschiatrist since she couldn't prescribe anything and felt like I couldn't really benefit from her any longer. I had a lot of issues from my childhood that were beginning to surface and cause a real drop in my quality of life.

That was 2 years ago. I would welcome a marriage counselor for my husband and I. i think if the circumstances were right, i would be willing to see a Pyschologist. I believe that talking is the key to getting it all out and finding a solution. That's why forums such as Cafemom are so helpful...they can allow us to test the waters of self-healing and can also direct us to a place where we can find better help.
maddys_mom
by New Member on Feb. 21, 2007 at 8:10 PM
Wish I could, I don't have a sitter, and I don't see getting anything accomplished in therapy with a six month old there!
zoesmom_
by New Member on Mar. 10, 2007 at 12:44 PM
I actually see a pshychiatrist that ive been seeing for 4 years ... and after my pregancy she gave me clonazapham ... its an anixety pill you take on demand basically ... if you feel like you are going to have a panic attack or you are doing something that will raise your anxiety level, you take it and it REALLY REALLY helps .... i just wish there was something, or if there is something, that could eliminate it ALL ...
Shadowtwinchaos
by on Mar. 11, 2007 at 6:19 AM
I've seen a psychiatrist - still do, who moniters my meds. I've seen psychologists and counselors. I've had some success. I was recently in thearapy with a clinical counselor. I guess it helped some to have someone to talk to instead of letting it all build up. I just kinda got tired of the fact that she didn't offer me any solutions. Not that I wanted her to have all of the answers. But a little guidence would have been welcome. I mean, if I had the answers, would I be in thearapy? But I would go back if I could afford it. So, I guess my answer is - yes, it did help.
Irishbutterfly
by on Mar. 14, 2007 at 9:34 PM
 I have to been to a variety of therapists and such.  But one did help TREMENDOUSLY.  One of our local churches offers counseling.  It is a funny story, cuz I had accidently backed into her car.  There was no one around so I left a not with my number and what had happened.  After figuring out the insurance and stuff I learned she was a counselor, and took it as a sign from above.  She was not even from my denomination. I am (kinda) Catholic and she was at a Babtist church.  But she helped me soo much, I will be greatful to her for the rest of my life.  So, maybe check someone from a church out.  I am also seeing a psychiatrist an have been on paxil for years.  Unfortunatly I can not seem to come off of them, and maybe never will, but better to be the way I am now then the way I was.
tmills183
by Member on Mar. 15, 2007 at 5:40 PM
i used to take clonzapam until i got pregnant. I had a really hard time coming off of this medicine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN