Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paxil

Posted by on May. 4, 2007 at 1:26 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 368 Total Views

Has anyone tried to get off Paxil and succeded?   For the last two months I have been weaning myself off Paxil. 

by on May. 4, 2007 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Artist_Momma
by Member on May. 4, 2007 at 1:38 PM
I switched from Paxil to Zoloft. Before I was switched I had to down my dosage to half a pill for a week  then half a pill every other day for another. Are you trying to get off medication entirely? Think it would be best to discuss it with you doctor. He/she can tell you how. Good luck!
clairehugs
by New Member on May. 4, 2007 at 1:46 PM
Wow I feel for you.  I got put on paxil as a young teen and it was a nightmare.  They didn't realize back then how it screws up young people.  Of course when I got dramatically worse doc thought I needed a higher dose lol.  Eventually I decided enough was enough and demanded a med change and it was really hell to get off of.  The slightest decrease makes you feel sick which I guess you realize by now huh.  Don't give up and increase it again just to feel better the only way to get over it is to keep going under your docs supervision of course.  Eventually the effects of the withdrawl will wear off but it takes time.  (My horrible doc didn't tell me about the withdrawl side effects and it was so bad my mom took me to the ER thinking I was horribly ill).
bigmomma2
by on May. 4, 2007 at 2:07 PM
I agree that you do need to talk to your DR. I took paxil and I chose to go with a different med since the paxil only made me feel like I had drank a whole pot of coffee . I didn't even have to wean myself I just quit cold turkey and started taking Lexapro with no withdrawals at all. Goodluck and make sure you talk to you DR.
SunnyLady
by on May. 4, 2007 at 2:24 PM
Paxil was the best drug for me at the time, and worked wonderfully while it lasted.  However, it eventually stopped working, and I needed to change meds.  I was taken off of Paxil too quickly by my med doc, and it was HORRIBLE!  I got vertigo, and had to take medication for that.  I had horrible sweats at night.  I felt nauseated most of the time, and had a horrible headache: P   The Paxil also has a nasty half life (the time it stays around in your body), or at least it did for me.  It took me weeks, about three, before I felt fully "normal" again.  I did it though, and I'm glad it's behind me.  However, please know that not all people have as bad an experience as I did, and you may be one of the lucky ones.  I just told you my story in case it happens to you.  That way you will know it's just the med coming out of your system, and not anything else happening to you.  If you don't know what to expect, it can be a bit scary I think.  I would also look at this web site http://www.quitpaxil.org/ for more info on coming off Paxil.  Good luck to you.  I hope your quitting Paxil is a good experience! :)

God bless,
Sunny

Lily1224
by Member on May. 4, 2007 at 3:02 PM

Thank you for sharing the information with me.  I am working with my doctor to wean myself off.  If everything goes well I will be off the Paxil by July.  I am hoping that I am one of the lucky ones that can go off it without any major withdrawl symptoms.

EmbersMom
by New Member on May. 4, 2007 at 3:09 PM
I havent been on Paxil for years. My doc switched me around alot till now I'm on Lexapro. It works on depression and Anxiety.
garrity
by New Member on May. 4, 2007 at 3:50 PM

Paxil made me extremely tired. All I wantd to do was sleep, but I guess that is what took my focus off of my depression..anyways, I went on Zoloft and that did wonders..and I wasnt sleeping nearly as much

RebeccaA
by Member on May. 9, 2007 at 4:56 AM
I was on paxil long ago. My then bf said he saw a definate positive change in me, however, I had only a part time job and food stamps to support myself, so I would get on it for a while, run out of money, then be forced to go cold turkey. It was awful. It gave me such horrible headaches to come off it.
bigmamatrish
by New Member on May. 10, 2007 at 2:06 PM

how did it work for you? My doctor is switching me from Prozac to Paxil because I keep getting severe anxiety attacks.  I just wanted to know how it worked for you.

isiahsmom
by on May. 10, 2007 at 2:09 PM
i was on paxil for a while and hated it ...scared the hell out of me made my heart race badly it scared me ...i have anxiety attacks and i  take xanax and that medicine rocks ....it helps me so much !!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)