Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

health anxiety

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:36 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 337 Total Views

Hi everyone.  I'm new to this group, and was just wondering if anyone deals with the type of anxiety where you constantly think something is wrong with your health and you're dieing.  I have no health insurance and actually went to the ER a couple weeks ago swearing I was dying because my heart was skipping beats, and they said I need to lay off the caffeine.  That's the second time I've been into the dr or ER thinking something was wrong with my heart and everything is fine (and I did quit caffeine after the last visit).  Even tonight I start getting those feelings in my chest again and my mind starts getting scared.   I try to fight the urge to google things because it just makes it worse.  If anyone has any natural health remedies they use, please share.  I'd rather not go on anxiety meds just yet until I try something natural.  Also, does anyone have GERD too?  This is another issue I think I have which makes my anxiety spike when my chest starts hurting from that.  I have a hard time differentiating the 2 sometimes. 

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oomimi73oo
by New Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:46 AM

My doctor recommended fish oil and vitamin d for me but it didn't work for me. Excercise could help. 

notjstasocermom
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Most of the timemy anxiety is controlled but last night it got pretty bad, I had a little chest pain which triggered it then I was ok for awhile then a full blown attack hit me but it was different I was laying on my right side and my entire upper body on the left side felt the hit (maybe it just felt more on the left since I was laying onmy right side). I notice as the years (or even months) go by my physical symptoms change (maybe to mimic what health fear I have at the moment, most heart attack and stroke).

I just take it on day at a time. I notice when I am dehydrated or my acid reflux is really bad my anxiety is worse, I should take my prilosec for the AR but I worry about side effects from the pills. 

rsrangel
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I've noticed this to!! When I don't drink enough water or my AR acts up, my anxiety can get out of control. Also, the day before (or a couple days before) my period, my AR and anxiety get bad to the point i don't sleep....so weird. I wonder if the increase in hormones makes it worse.....

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Most of the timemy anxiety is controlled but last night it got pretty bad, I had a little chest pain which triggered it then I was ok for awhile then a full blown attack hit me but it was different I was laying on my right side and my entire upper body on the left side felt the hit (maybe it just felt more on the left since I was laying onmy right side). I notice as the years (or even months) go by my physical symptoms change (maybe to mimic what health fear I have at the moment, most heart attack and stroke).

I just take it on day at a time. I notice when I am dehydrated or my acid reflux is really bad my anxiety is worse, I should take my prilosec for the AR but I worry about side effects from the pills. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amyapple29
by New Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Wow you sound just like me! No insurance multiple trips to ER I've called the ambulance on myself before. I stay at home with a WILD 2yr old want to get out of the house, but scared to! I just started taking Paxil 10mg 3days ago....not sure if it's helping yet or not. I also looked into the GERD...then there's brain tumors, and all kinds of random scarey stuff that I make myself think that I have! Msg or add me if you ever need to talk!

amyapple29
by New Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Anyone have vision problems? I can't explain it, but almost like spots? Or feeling as if your not here? Sounds crazy I know.

caseyloo
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:54 AM

I used to be just this way too.  Even now, with my anxiety so much better, if I have too much caffeine or not enough sleep I'll notice I start getting nervous over little pains.  I read "From Panic to Power" and it helped me so so much!  Good luck.

Meg_the_Mermaid
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Well I do have health anxiety...but it's because I DO have things wrong with me...I don't just think I do, I actually have health issues that I deal with already and when I get the crazy symptoms, I actually feel anxiety because I get scared. =( 

And ohhhh yes, I have GERD and have totally assumed it was a heart attack when I was first experiencing it and didn't know what it was! Horrible. 

Spring_Mommy
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Yes I have vision problems!  It started when I had my daughter almost seven years ago after a major panic attack.  I was so convinced there was something wrong with my brain.  I went to the ER two times, doctor after doctor visit and to the eye doctor several times.  When my anxiety is bad its worse but it gets better.  The problem is the more we think about our vision the worse it gets.  And as anxious people we are hyper aware of everything so we probably notice things most people dont notice!

MiszMassy66
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I have the vision problems too. Health anxiety is my biggest problem.

ebbierowe
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I think I kind of do actually but mine is the opposite. I worry that nothing is actually wrong and with me and I am overracting, does that make sense? I mean I have symptoms but I always fear that if I have a doctor check them out it will be nothing.

I think it stems from the fact I have crohn's disease and for 2 years I suffered from it but no one could figure out what was wrong and it got to the point that people either thought i was lying or I had some kind of eating disorder.

As a result I hate going to the doctor for anything....even right now I have such a terrible pain where my gallbladde used to be...I swear its my liver but nothing shows up in my blood work...so I kinda suck it up.

But if anyone has any natural remedies I would be interested too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)