Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm just wondering if I have anxiety or I'm normal?

When in stressfull situations, situations where I feel confronted, I often feel better if I have a "time out". If I don't have the time out, I basically throw an adult tantrum. I feel so overwhelmed, I can't breathe, I can't think of what to say, I just feel like I'm being attacked and I don't know what to do.

This is the only situation where I have any anxiety. I'm not depressed. I don't have any suicidal thoughts. I just don't deal with conflicts.

Anybody have any ideas, thoughts or suggestions about this? I would greatly appreciate any at all.

Thank you,
nihilistmonkey (aka Shannon).
by on Feb. 22, 2007 at 11:56 AM
Replies (41-50):
BabydollJenni
by New Member on Apr. 24, 2008 at 10:01 PM
everyones anxiety is different.. I got mine when i hit 21 after I was in an abusive relationship. it makes me feel paralyzed and i can't move.. i can't drive cuz i get anxiety too bad people around me scare me. my heart starts racing when i get it or i want to run away but feel like i can't move.. i also get a sick feeling in my stomach.. it seems though that more women than men suffer with anxiety .  I know a few men though who do have it but it seems more rare for a guy to have it

Jenni
*Life is not all sunshine and stars*
CanardMom85
by on Jun. 17, 2008 at 2:22 PM
I get anxiety but only when I think about my mil. It's horrible! I remember the car rides to her house when things were going okay...My hands would tremble, my mind would race on everything planned and what mil might do or say to mess everything up, my heart might skip a beat or two when we passed her city limit sign, my face would flush and I'd start to try taking deep breaths and tell myself that nothing has happened...yet. And this is before she actually did anything. When she actually does mess up big time my whole body shakes violently. I get in flight mood and start screaming about needing to protect me and my daughters. Mil is the only thing that gets me this way.
ramarajkumari
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2008 at 2:18 PM

See the Counselor Getting Your Attention Post from today at 2pm ...

Maybe that will help.

young_spook
by Member on Dec. 7, 2008 at 3:40 AM

Hmm. This happens to me, too, but I'm not sure if it's anxiety or normal. Sounds like anxiety to me.....

Either way, it's good that you know what to do to deal with it. :D

Octobermommy1
by New Member on Jan. 8, 2009 at 6:07 PM

I suffer from anxiety disorder as well. I would suggest you stop wherever you are, whatever your doing and just breathe. I know it may sound funny, but try it. It might just work for you. It sometimes works for me.

mommalisa913
by Member on Jul. 22, 2010 at 4:09 PM

i feel the same way its almost like i cannot function right that i just feel outside of myself .. if that makes any sense ./. i sometimes wonder too if it normal or anxiety ..i think it is anxiety and it is sometimes hard for others to get it . its like you shut down  right?  and you just need

some time to gather yourself and put things in perspective even though this doesnt always work neither .. i guess it sucks but we have to find a way to deal with it ..i need all the help i can get to . but it does feel good to talk about it with people who get wat i am saying ... thanks  lisa

mommalisa913
by Member on Jul. 22, 2010 at 4:13 PM

yeah i get the same way sometimes i cant even talk on the phone cuz i get so nervous and i hate that cuz i just feel like a weirdo ! i mean wat does talking on the phone have to do anxiety .. everyone in my life are so use to me that they say on the answering machine i know you are there just call me back wen you want .. i dont like being like this i just wissh i haD MORE SUPPORT CUZ I THINK SOME PEOPLE WHO DONT UNDERSTAND LIKE MY MOM IN LAW JUST THINK IM WEIRD OR THAT I JUST DONT WANT TO TALK TO THEM  WICH IS NOT TRUE ITS JUST HARD TO DEAL WITH IT AND TRY TO EXPLAIN MYSELF ALL THE TIME...THANKS LISA..

CandieGirl09
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2010 at 2:31 AM

I am unsure if I do have anxiety but I have a feeling that I do..I wonder if a few of you could help me out to see if I do or not. My pain symtoms are loss of breathing(plus, I have asthma) so when I'm hyped on a convosation, I can barely get it out fast enough and when I don't, I get confused while I'm telling the convosation short periods of time inbetween. It takes me awhile to talk about something when I have to constantly have to focus on my breathing. My heart beats really fast while I am speaking to someone that sometimes isn't my family or friends but it doesn't matter who I talk too sometimes. It's partly the reason why I get confused when I talk, cause my heartbeats real fast plus I'm trying to focus on breathing while I'm trying to focus on the convosation. I get chestpains at times, sometimes sharp, sometimes long lasting. I take my bra off to sooth the breathing but sometimes it doesnt help. I do take a puffer but it makes me shake lots. I am not depressed but sometimes I think I go into short depressions when I'm stressed. I'm shakey at times when I can't control my breathing. I've lost alot of friends and family so I tend to stress over the smallest things until I know what exactly is happening. I feel like I have to always please everyone, no matter who it is and because of that, I have become friends with all sorts of people, even if I dont like them very much. I feel like my mind isnt thinking clearly, like cloudy and its causing me to lose my train of thought at times. It's hard to explain but can someone help me..I am feeling this way right now because I did have a really stressful weekend and there is more of it to come. I feel like I'm suffercating in my stress,battlehounds and sleepyness. I'm so confused.

MommyForLife22
by Member on Oct. 3, 2011 at 7:41 AM

I act like that too.  Taking a "time out" is what helps me. I sit back and evaluate the situation.  Or else I flip the frick out.

dkej743
by Group Owner on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:05 AM

That deffinitly sounds like anxiety. anxiety symptoms can manifest itself differently in each individual and can also change in the same individual as time goes by, i know this from experience because i have had anxiety since i was 7yrs old when it started as not being able to sleep at night waking in panic attacks. the panic attacks simmered down at about 19yrs old and then i got stuck with this constant anxiety that i just feel on edge all the time and i get times when the simpleest noise sounds so loud to me, i also just recently started experienceing social anxiety, when around people too long i want to just run and hide because it gets to be too much. hang in there always remind yourself its just anxiety and it cant harm you. God Bless

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)