Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

16 yr old son w/ anxiety

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:59 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 86 Total Views

I'm in a very fatigued mode, which probably comes from depression. It's so hard to deal with the rest of the family's problems when mine are really acting up. My oldest son has a lot of anxiety. He's taking St. John's Wort and B complex. I am going to call a therapist for him to talk to; I've just been feeling like crap myself so have put it off. I hope I'm not a terrible mother....I have no clue if/when to consider a psychiatrist to prescribe something for him. He's just so young...I didn't take meds till my 20's.

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
heather77g
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Well if you know that he has anxiety then usually that's a true sign that he might need some help (someone to talk to, etc.) With that age it's really hard to decide what to do, because I wouldn't want my kids on medications. Yet, maybe he needs couseling, so that he can talk to someone about his problems. 

As for you, you need to get a check up with your medication and your doctor. have you tried going to a therapist yourself?

erikadi
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I took meds as a teenager. If they help it is not a bad thing. I think the course of treatment relies a lot on your son. What he feels comfortable doing and if it is something he can stick with and understand that they don't work right away and that it might take a while to find the right fit. 

bethsbunch
by New Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I am in the same boat as you are.   I have a 16 year old son that we are finally going to look into getting meds for.  He has autism as well and between the two he is having  a hard time functioning.   We really held off as long as we can, but at this point if anything can help him we are willling to try it.

Anxiety sucks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)