Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Effexor?!

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 4:27 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 140 Total Views

Hey! I am new to the group and was just prescribed Effexor for my anxiety and depression. I was wondering if anyone else has been on this and how it effected you. Pros? Cons?

TIA!

by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mknotstarscream
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I haven't been on Effexor but I have been on Pristiq, which is basically the new Effexor, and for me it was a complete nightmare. It scarred me for life, and I am honestly scared to take any new meds at this point because of it. But that being said, everyone is very different. It might be great for you. have you started yet? Don't forget that it can take some time for meds to be effective. For exemple, I am on Paxil, and it took at least a month for me to actually see the benefits of taking them. Hang in there ! And good luck ! 

momwriter
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 5:32 PM

I did well on Effexor for many years. I went off when I was pregnant and getting off was a nightmare; horrible withdrawals. But I felt energized and great on it. I had some sexual side effects at first which went away. I take Cymbalta (among other meds) now, which is also an SNRI.

StacieBudd
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:03 PM
Quoting momwriter:

I did well on Effexor for many years. I went off when I was pregnant and getting off was a nightmare; horrible withdrawals. But I felt energized and great on it. I had some sexual side effects at first which went away. I take Cymbalta (among other meds) now, which is also an SNRI.

Could you not take Effexor while pregnant?

Lil_Wolf
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:08 PM

I took Effexor in 2006 & it turned me into a zombie. I didn't eat & had no idea why I was where I was. Doc took me off of that & put me on Lexapro, which made me suicidal. Whhile in the hospital, doc put me on both Pamelor & Seroquel, which worked well. Only bad thing about those two was I gained weight. They helped me get through the worst of PTSD. I am doing well & no longer on any meds. Hope things get better for you.

momwriter
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:48 PM

It was recommended that I was on less meds while pregnant. I took Klonopin and couldn't get off of that, though. I got down to the minimum dose of Effexor while pregnant then for some reason didn't feel right increasing again after the birth, so actually going off that last bit was what was hell. It did work for me for 7-8 years though.

Quoting StacieBudd:
Quoting momwriter:

Could you not take Effexor while pregnant?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN