Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do you tell people who don't understand?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 8:29 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 175 Total Views
Having to go to court two months ago caused a lot of stress which is now causing my anxieties to go haywire.  Anyway, the last 4 years I have been able to hide it by telling those at work I just feel sick, ate something bad, or I have a headache.

I'm curious if anyone has other ideas of what they tell others at work, should you have a panic attack there.
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 8:34 PM
                Actually just telling them you are not feel well is actually the truth.  It is none of their business that you have pankic attacks.  You don't feel well when you have them.  I am a sahm and I tell friends I have pms big time.  I have the anxiety do to the change of life.  I would tell them what you feel comfortable saying.  If you have any sort of mental illness you don't have to tell your boss it is in the hippa law. 
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 8:47 PM
Hear, hear. I got tired of trying to explain it to people, so when I need to, I just don't feel well. Or sometimes I have a migraine. Migraines seem to be something people understand.
by Member on Jul. 31, 2007 at 8:48 PM
I think it all depends on how close you are with your co-workers and how comfortable you feel sharing with them.  I work in a very small department where I am very close with my co workers.  One of them has become a great friend, she's even staying at my house and cat-sitting for me when we go on vacation.  She knows that I have issues with anxiety, and honestly.....I worry less and feel better when working with her.  Sometimes, for me at least, it's the fear of having an anxiety attack and looking like an idiot that causes me to have one.  When I don't have to worry about it, it happens less. 

Missi H.

Gifted Children, Group Owner
Cutest Baby Contest, Group Owner

by Member on Aug. 1, 2007 at 11:46 AM
thanks everyone,

The last time I had a serious panic attack at work was 4 years ago at another employment so I knew then how to "hide".  More recently, I just get the sick feelings.  I'm hoping I can get this anxiety under control soon and I don't follow my old patterns where I need to use my sick days.

Thanks again.
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 11:50 AM
I used the old standby of "I don't feel well" and then excused myself. But when things got so bad that I couldn't really function very well at work kanymore, I came out of the anxiety-closet. I started being really upfront with the people I worked with directly. I just said I was having an anxiety attack, I would be better in a minute. Later on if someone seemed weird about it, I would explain the treatment program I was using to them. I actually found a lot of support that way, and ended up helping a lot of other people in the process. Soooo many people suffer silently from this.

Of course, not every workplace is as understanding as mine was...
by Member on Aug. 1, 2007 at 11:56 AM
I am a sahm now but the last job I had was about 9 years ago. I hated it, from the supervisor to all the employees. I was having axiety attacks then and didn't know what it was. I was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrom. After the quads were born, they were about 9 months old and I was diagnosed with depression, bi-polar, ADD, and anxiety. I take Celexa for all, it seems to work for me.
Having quadruplets, is an easy excuse for telling people, they think you are frazzled because of kids. I just usually say it has been a long day , or something similar.
It is pretty bad that you have to make excuses to anyone.
I have a hard time with my neighbors, I usually have all their kids playing at my house, most days I love it, I know where mine are then! But on some days I just snap and start yelling at everyone to go home. The kids don't understand, so I just say that enough is enough and we are having family time!! THat usually works until they see me outside and the kids inside or vise versa!!!
Do what is comfortable for you!!!!

by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 12:38 PM
Its just to hard to tell someone that has no clue what we go threw what is going on..So when i go into one i just tell them that i have to get some air because i am not feeling to well at that point..WHen it passes then i go back to them.Or if i am outside i tell them that i need to take a walk and i just walk away..My boyfriend can sometimes tell when it happens..So if i do walk away from everyone he knows why..He has them too so he knows what its like..If anyone asks him he just tells them that im not feeling to well.Or someother kind of a story..
by Member on Aug. 4, 2007 at 7:17 AM

im still trying to figure out how to tell my boyfriend. holding it in makes it worse and puts a strain on our relationship..... at work though , im a senior person and i have the privilage to "disappear"  when i feel overwhelmed.
by on Dec. 8, 2007 at 2:21 PM
people just dont understand so if you tell them the truth they say get out of it cant be that hard or its just somthing your going through right now it get better or you get I am sorry then they act like your crazy that happns to me alot so I just tell them I just not my self today. I works!
by on Dec. 8, 2007 at 3:44 PM
I have this problem with my in laws. My husband decided it was a good idea to spill the beans and they keep telling me to drag myself out of it. Its all in my head. I can do this if I wanted to. The crap they say to me is very hurtful and puts more stress on me. I have gotten to the point, I dont say anything to them or around them. I just say Im not feeling well and go off to the bedroom. I have given up on explaining it to anyone that doesnt suffer from it. So saying your not feeling well works I think.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)