Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

klonopin & pregnancy... please help!

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 8091 Total Views

Hi everyone- I would love to hear your experiences with pregnancy and meds.  I am currently on a very small dose of klonopin (.25 mg) and feeling *alright*  I would love to up it but my doc wants me to keep it as low as possible.  It scares me that I am taking this dangerous med but I've been told by 3 different docs the benefits outweigh the risks... still doesn't make me feel that much better about it.  Anyways I would so greatly appreciate hearing your experiences with pregnancy and meds- I've researched it for hours and hours and hours and have come up with so many different answers.  Any help or info that your docs have given you would be awesome- thanks ladies.

by on Jun. 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futurmil2b
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2009 at 7:13 AM

A good herbal product to try is Nutri-Calm.  I  also sent you a private message.  I am surprised your doc have you on Klonopin being that you are pregnant.

NUTRI-CALM (100 TABLETS)

Benefits:
•Soothes frayed nerves by providing healthy doses of the B-complex vitamins.
•Aids in relaxation and encourages restful sleep.
•Boosts the immune system.
•Helps provide energy.
•Is a source of antioxidants (vitamin C and lemon bioflavonoids).
•Provides other nutrients essential to good health.

Nutri-Calm® [Nervous] is a key product designed to support the nervous system, especially when under stress. During times of stress, the body rapidly loses B vitamins. Nutri-Calm provides generous amounts of these nutrients in a base of herbs known to support optimal nervous system health.  

Three tablets contain:

View the Supplement Facts 

Natrual Herbal Products may help with Anxiety, Weigh Loss, Women's Health, Cleansing

www.mynsp.com/healthlink

ashlad
by on Jun. 13, 2009 at 9:26 AM

there actually isn't any HUMAN proof that it causes any harm.  Given to rats and rabbits at 20 times the maximum dose for a human it has shown an increased risk in cleft palates.  I am taking .25 mg- its such an incredibly low dose they said it shouldn't be a problem at all.   In fact recent studies have come out saying that benzos aren't dangerous during pregnancy.

futurmil2b
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2009 at 7:10 AM

No human proof that it causes any harm - to the baby or anyone?? I am not sure about unborn child but  I have heard stories from people themselves  that have had problems with Klonopin  -   I know what I went through taking Klonopin and I was on .25 and I took 1/2 pill.   However, there are some people that take Klonopin and are not having any problems - everybody is different. Benzos are not for everybody and I am one of those people.  I am sure you/baby will be fine. 

Quoting ashlad:

there actually isn't any HUMAN proof that it causes any harm.  Given to rats and rabbits at 20 times the maximum dose for a human it has shown an increased risk in cleft palates.  I am taking .25 mg- its such an incredibly low dose they said it shouldn't be a problem at all.   In fact recent studies have come out saying that benzos aren't dangerous during pregnancy.

Natrual Herbal Products may help with Anxiety, Weigh Loss, Women's Health, Cleansing

www.mynsp.com/healthlink

ashlad
by on Jun. 14, 2009 at 12:07 PM

oh I'm sure it can cause problems in people like allergic reactions- but my question was if anyone had been on it while pregnant.  There isn't any info on it effecting human babies- my docs can only tell me so much- I was just hoping someone had a personal account of being on it while preggo... :)

Quoting futurmil2b:

No human proof that it causes any harm - to the baby or anyone?? I am not sure about unborn child but  I have heard stories from people themselves  that have had problems with Klonopin  -   I know what I went through taking Klonopin and I was on .25 and I took 1/2 pill.   However, there are some people that take Klonopin and are not having any problems - everybody is different. Benzos are not for everybody and I am one of those people.  I am sure you/baby will be fine. 

Quoting ashlad:

alexis31
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Hi! 

I was on 1/2 mg of Klonopin once a day when I was pregnant with my son who is now 5.  I have seen no adverse reactions!  Hope this helps!  I know what you are going through!  We don't want to take meds but sometimes not taking them would be a complete nightmare!

Alexis

jya1124
by on Jun. 14, 2009 at 4:57 PM

I got pregnant while on klonopin .05 mg once a day. Both were unplanned, and I lost both babies. The first time, I lost her at 5 months due to a neural tube defect, and the second time I weaned off, but still lost the baby at about 7 weeks along. I wouldn't risk it. I dont care what anyone says on here. I have been through it, and you don't want to have to go through that. I had a hard time weaning off though. Just talk to your doctor. And it is proven to be unsafe in rats and whatever other pregnant animals, but so are a lot of other drugs. If you had a heart problem, and they told you that it caused heart attacks in rats wouldn't you opt out for another med? I sure as heck would. Just do your research, and maybe try breathing exercises or yoga to help you get through your anxiety. I used to be on 4 meds, and weaned off of three (for depression, and panic disorder) and klonopin has been the hardest to get off. Just be informed, and be careful. But from my standpoint, I say talk to your doctor about weaning off. Better to be safe than sorry.

ashlad
by on Jun. 15, 2009 at 12:37 PM

thanks- this does help a lot :)

Quoting alexis31:

Hi! 

I was on 1/2 mg of Klonopin once a day when I was pregnant with my son who is now 5.  I have seen no adverse reactions!  Hope this helps!  I know what you are going through!  We don't want to take meds but sometimes not taking them would be a complete nightmare!

Alexis

jya1124
by on Jun. 15, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Quoting ashlad:

Quoting alexis31:

Hi! 

Alexis

I wouldn't just cling to the one positive response on here. Do your research please. It is a dangerous drug for us, let alone an unborn child.

Do you want to BEAT your anxiety and learn just HOW to do that? Please join my group EMPOWERMENT over ANXIETY!!http://cafemom.com/group/empoweroveranxiety

futurmil2b
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2009 at 5:48 PM

VERY WELL STATED.    Congrats on weaning yourself off meds....

Quoting jya1124:

I got pregnant while on klonopin .05 mg once a day. Both were unplanned, and I lost both babies. The first time, I lost her at 5 months due to a neural tube defect, and the second time I weaned off, but still lost the baby at about 7 weeks along. I wouldn't risk it. I dont care what anyone says on here. I have been through it, and you don't want to have to go through that. I had a hard time weaning off though. Just talk to your doctor. And it is proven to be unsafe in rats and whatever other pregnant animals, but so are a lot of other drugs. If you had a heart problem, and they told you that it caused heart attacks in rats wouldn't you opt out for another med? I sure as heck would. Just do your research, and maybe try breathing exercises or yoga to help you get through your anxiety. I used to be on 4 meds, and weaned off of three (for depression, and panic disorder) and klonopin has been the hardest to get off. Just be informed, and be careful. But from my standpoint, I say talk to your doctor about weaning off. Better to be safe than sorry.

www.mynsp.com/healthlink

ashlad
by on Jun. 16, 2009 at 12:05 PM

I'm not clinging to anyone's response- . I am listening to my doctors.  I'm not going to stay on it or go off it because of anyone's good or bad experience.  I will choose what is right for me and my baby with the help of my 3 doctors and my husband.   

Quoting jya1124:

Quoting ashlad:

Quoting alexis31:

Hi! 

Alexis

I wouldn't just cling to the one positive response on here. Do your research please. It is a dangerous drug for us, let alone an unborn child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)