Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you believe this to be true?

Posted by on May. 7, 2007 at 8:28 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 222 Total Views
Do you believe that children in single-parent families always have deficits, do poorly in school and suffer emotionally and behaviorally?
by on May. 7, 2007 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Lovelylis
by Group Owner on May. 7, 2007 at 9:39 PM
That is a great question!!  I grew up with only my mom and i think i did pretty well.  Got honor roll most semesters in high school......It really depends on the relationship between the parent and the child i guess.  You just have to be ALOT stronger and communicate openly and honestly.  Those are some of the things i learned from my mom.....
mommyinatl
by Group Admin on May. 8, 2007 at 7:58 PM
my parents were together throughout my entire childhood and they still are. they faught constantly. that caused me to hate being home and my childhood sucked. i did somewhat bad in school and that may have been the cause. i wont say that it definately is the cause b/c i could have been the cause. sometimes i think keeping a child in a tense situation causes those things. i hate to say it but to this day i still believe my parents should have divorced. they still fight and argue. i think sometimes the cure for a broken home is divorce. that may sound twisted, but as a child and as a teenager i hated being home, especially when they argued. which was most of the time. thats why the way things were going, it was best for me and my son's father to go our separate ways
stardustglow74
by on May. 10, 2007 at 1:57 PM
Um...no. How insulting that would be for us all. Who tells you such nonsense. Kids with absent fathers, well their fathers are absent for a reason. Then men are no good. If they were in the childs lives that is when you would have to worry about defected children who do poorly in school and suffer from emotional and behavioral problems. As long as the child is brought up in a stable, loving household it doesnt matter how many parens they have. The ones that have to live in the troubled abusive relationships have the malfunctions.
mommyinatl
by Group Admin on May. 10, 2007 at 2:40 PM

Quoting stardustglow74:

Um...no. How insulting that would be for us all. Who tells you such nonsense. Kids with absent fathers, well their fathers are absent for a reason. Then men are no good. If they were in the childs lives that is when you would have to worry about defected children who do poorly in school and suffer from emotional and behavioral problems. As long as the child is brought up in a stable, loving household it doesnt matter how many parens they have. The ones that have to live in the troubled abusive relationships have the malfunctions.
i agree 100%. thats exactly what i was getting at in my other post. 
viv212
by on Jun. 19, 2007 at 6:13 PM
I think Fathers are just as important as mothers and can teach children things that the mothers lack.  Do they "suffer"?  I don't think so... but there are "side effects".
momof4eagles
by on Jun. 29, 2007 at 4:57 PM
i am a single parent of 4 myself and my mom raised me alone till i was 9 and she married the man i know call dad. i think there are advantages and disadvantages to both single and traditional families. but i feel our biggest issues with our children today is poverty weather or not you have 2 incomes. and for most of us we are doing it on 1. i have 2 chikdren that excell in school where the other 2 fall behind most of the time. they are dislexic and that doesnt have anything to do with how many parents they have..lol as for behavioral problems.....all kids act up thats just part of being a kid. i feel some parents (alone or other wise) what to give their kids so much more than they had as a child they relax on teaching them respect and handing out disaplin. i feel victom to that myself at first but after baby #3 came i had seen i needed to crack down on them b/c they were getting out of control. i do think (at least in my house) my son acts out from time to time solely b/c hes mad at his dad for blowing him off for his new family but as sad as that is he is learning how to deal with his feelings and emotions and how to handle the disapiontments life has to offer. well this is just my opinion i hope i didnt offend anyone.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)