Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello

Posted by on May. 7, 2007 at 9:32 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 439 Total Views
Hi.  I just wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Debi and I was a Volunteer Firefighter for our Volunteer Fire dept.  I joined after the ladies auxiliary disbanded simply as a liaison of sorts, but it was not long before I was fighting fire with the guys.  I was the only Female on the dept and had to fight harder to prove myself than the guys but that was also partly due to the fact that my husband was the training officer and was harder on me than the rest.  I finally earned my way to a Lieutenant position and had the respect of almost every guy on the dept (there is always one or two in a small town fire dept that think women don't belong).  I loved fighting fire and would still be doing it if my kids didn't need me.  With both me and my husband on the dept one of us was going to have to quit, and though I had every right to fight for my spot, I stepped down and let him keep going.  He has been doing this for 11 years and has been to more schools including the Fire Academy, and well he is just better for the dept than I am.  It was a hard decision to leave, but I know it was for the best and I can always go back when the boys are older.  Anyway Just a little history on me.
by on May. 7, 2007 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mammaemt
by Group Owner on May. 7, 2007 at 12:54 PM
Hi, i was a memeber of the dept where i got hurt for 10yrs and the only active female in that dept. My husband and 2 boys are members, my husband for the last 15yrs and 2 boys for 2 and 3 yrs. The boys joined after my injuries to keep it in the family. I took the emt in 1996 and passed it, i then was n emt for 7yrs nd on a call when i got hurt becaus of a pramdic on the area ambulance letgo of the board and i took all the weight. Now i have decided to do medical billing and coding at home to keep me busy.
fireladymom85
by New Member on May. 26, 2007 at 11:28 PM
I've been on Galien Township Fire Department since november of 2006 and I found out that I was pregnant in january of 2007 so I haven't had much of a good start. But we're such a small town that the chief still let's me attend all the meetings, I still attend training although I just watch and learn and I even recieved my first check when everyone else got paid. (we only get paid once a year) i got into it through my hubby when we were engaged and the more I hung around the guys and got to really know them, it just felt right. plus with me joining, I am Galien's First Female Firefighter. Ever. let's just hope I don't go down in history to quickly for that one. But I love it. I've gotten to learn so much new stuff and I haven't even begun. I should start my Firefighter 1 & 2 class in october of this year. wish me luck!!
mammaemt
by Group Owner on Jul. 12, 2007 at 4:01 PM
It's nice to know there are other women firefighters out there. I wish i could get my emt-d back and only go on rescue calls,but they won't let me due to the injuries i sustained. Plus, the fire department has there own little click, if you know what i mean. If you don't belong, they don't associate you with them at all. My husband tried to get fire chief and they told him he couldn't because he had to be an officer first. But when the elections came up, they only nominated who belongs in there little click.I even went out and bought land and building a house in the district so my husband could get fire chief, but as usual they didn't even vote on him. He camd down with sarcoidosis last february and isn't doing very much with the fire department now, he only goes if there is a major fire or mutual aid to another fire department at a major fire. I wish there was something that i could do, but it's up to the fire department and the by-law committee on who they want to vote for. There loss not ours.
polishpoison
by on Jul. 13, 2007 at 2:16 PM
HELLO! I AM ALSO NEW TO THE GROUP. I AM A FIRE-FIGHTER AND EMT FOR FREELAND FIRE DEPARTMENT AND AMBULANCE SQUAD.  I AM 29 YEARS OLD AND HAVE 3 KIDS. I AM CURENTLY IN COLLEGE FOR A DUEL DEGREE IN PARALEGAL/CRIMIANL JUSTICE. ITS AWESOME TO MEET OTHER MOMS WHO LUV WHAT THEY DO AND ARE PROUD! I HAEV BEEN A FIRE-FIGHTER AND EMT FOR 14 YEAR AND STILL GOING STRONG! I AM THE GIRL ON THE FIRE SIDE OF THINGS AND I HAD TO WORK HARDER TO PROVE THAT BEING A FEMALE AND TINY WOULDN'T STOP ME! ANYWAY, NICE TO MEET EVERYONE AND HOPE TO TALK TO YOU ALL SOON!
I ALSO HAVE MY OWN GROUP: EMT AND FIREFIGHTER MOMS...COME JOIN AND SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE!!!!

emtffmom
by New Member on Jul. 13, 2007 at 3:53 PM
Hi my name is Betty, I am a EMT/FF for  a vol. dept in a small town in AZ. I have been an EMT for 8 years and a ff for just over 5 months. I love both. Just wanted to stop in and say hi.
momtommc
by New Member on Oct. 3, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Hi, Im Jeri....I am 36 with 3 kids.  I have been a firefighter for 14 going on 15 years.  My hubby is also a Fire Captain, who is getting promoted in Jan 2008 to Battalion Chief!  ( I am so proud of him..he came out number one on the test!)

snowball44
by New Member on Oct. 6, 2007 at 12:22 PM
Hi,
 My name is Lisa and I am a FF/EMT. I have been active in the Fire and Medical services for going on 6 yrs. I have 2 boys, 9 and 12.
 I am the only active female firefighter in my company. I am also the Medical Officer and Chaplain for our company.
 Like some and unlike some, I did not need to prove myself in my company. I transferred for another company, and my rep preceded me. But I do remember having to prove myself in the  beginning. Hang in there girls, stay strong, don't let the push you around or get you down.
kitten_62000
by New Member on Oct. 13, 2007 at 10:29 PM
hi my name is erin and i have 2.5 yr old son, robbie. i live in a small town where we have all of about 40 calls fire and emt combined a year. hope to chat with you. erin
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)