Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello Ladies

Posted by on May. 4, 2007 at 9:16 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 276 Total Views

Hi...

My name is Mikki and I am a single mom of not one but two daughters (17 and 12).  Just when I get one almost out of her teens, the other one steps right on in.  Lucky me!!!  Have a great day Ladies

Mikki

by on May. 4, 2007 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
moniqueanna
by Group Owner on May. 4, 2007 at 5:46 PM
so with a 17 year old, what were the hardest years?
1teendaughter
by New Member on May. 6, 2007 at 3:53 PM
I too would like to hear about how you have handled differant situations with your 17 year old.  Hope to hear from you soon!!
tigertatt
by on May. 7, 2007 at 1:56 PM
Let's see.....

the hardest years were from about 13 to 15.  That whole mouthy, disrespectful, arrogant, attitude.  The fact that they think the world revolves around them.  Sometimes it was like dealing with a 3 yo again...lol.  Once she hit 15, she started to be human again.  She just turned 17 last month.  There are so many issues...I have found that having non-negotiable boundries ie. being respectful to me and her sister, following the rules...helped a lot.  Other things have been negotiable...curfew, clothes, hair, makeup.  Those are little things.  I am a fairly liberal parent.  I choose my battles.  I let her dress the way she wants as long as her boobs and ass aren't hanging out.  I let her have her hair what ever color or style she chooses.  These are important areas of self expression that teenagers need.  She got her bellybutton pierced at 15, her tongue pierced at 16.  (I would be a hypocryt if I said no because my bellybutton is pierced and I have 10 tattoos).    I push for good grades, good decisions, and most of all respect for herself and others.  She has turned out to be a wonderful young woman and I am very proud of her.

My best piece of advise is to be patient, pick your battles, but most of all let them know that you are there for them and that they can talk to you about anything.  Let no subject be taboo.

Mikki
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)