Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a little off topic: damaged hair question

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:23 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 257 Total Views

I know this isnt exactly herb related, but I assume many of you are granola moms... or maybe this could be related to herbs...anyways, I have pretty damaged hair and wear it up most of the time. I have a great shampoo which my hair seems to like: Nature's Gate Organic mandarine orange/patchouli, and I wash my hair a few days a week since it's naturally oily. and I use a brush meant for frizziness. I always air dry. anyone have any good natural tips for healthy hair? perhaps some herbal remedies? and please don't pm me a product you sell from home lol. just lookin for a good 'ol remedy I can make! thanks a bunch =0)

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
amethystrse
by New Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I read somwhere that coconut oil is good for dry and damaged hair.  I've never tried it but it's worth a shot I guess.

nattybelle
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 4:07 PM

I love using coconut oil on my hair, it makes my hair shiny and it smells wonderful.  Just remember a little goes a long way.  Also rosemary, horsetail root and nettle are fantastic for rebuilding hair and nails. 

Nattybelle butterfly

mnwintercritter
by Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:57 PM

If your hair is naturally oily how is it getting damaged? Was it damaged from a chemical process? I have very fine, very thick, hair. What affects my hair is poor diet, hot irons, chemical processes or over astringent shampoos. For my hair once it is damaged there is really no fixing the damage. The things mentioned by previous posters are what I would use to prevent damage. But in my case once the hair is damaged my best suggestion is cut off the damaged hair so that the healthy hair under has a chance to grow out.

CamnTysMom
by Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Not really an herbal remedy, but maybe try a hair cut?  My hair was really damaged from a botched dying job I let my 16 year old sister try (and ended up having to dye it 6 more times to correct the damage!) Needless to say my shoulder-length hair was ruined.  My mother in law is a retired hair dresser, and I let her have a go at it.  My mistake was just telling her that I wanted it short, and she cut it short! She gave me a boys haircut! However, as much as I hated it, my hair has grown out healthy and stronger.  If your hair is naturally oily, I wouldnt add anymore oil to it.  If I can find my book, I have some recipes for "hair masks" that are all natural using stuff from the grocery store (ie easy to find stuff).

MomEveryDay
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:21 PM

I just started the poo free method.  But, instead of just an apple cider vinegar and water rinse, I've been mixing the ACV, water, and a little of my conditioner.  I leave it on for a few minutes.  I've been doing this for about 10 days, and right from the beginning, my hair has looked so much better.  Before I started, I left coconut oil in my hair overnight.  I used shampoo to wash it out, then started poo-free the next day.

The conditioner I use now

The one I plan to use next once I run out of the other (because I LOVE this stuff!)

Poo free AKA no poo

Save Handmade Toys

Mamabearisback
by on Feb. 3, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Quoting MomEveryDay:

I just started the poo free method.  But, instead of just an apple cider vinegar and water rinse, I've been mixing the ACV, water, and a little of my conditioner.  I leave it on for a few minutes.  I've been doing this for about 10 days, and right from the beginning, my hair has looked so much better.  Before I started, I left coconut oil in my hair overnight.  I used shampoo to wash it out, then started poo-free the next day.

The conditioner I use now

The one I plan to use next once I run out of the other (because I LOVE this stuff!)

Poo free AKA no poo

For best results only buy apple cider vinegar from the health food stores not the supermarket.  Real acv looks cloudy and spider webby....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)