Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What learning system is your SLP providing?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:06 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 338 Total Views

Obviously I am new and trying to learn all I can about apraxia and how I can help my ds. I have read about several different systems used, like PROMPT, LiPS, communication books and sign language  (and about 10 other methods I can't name of the top of my head. I am curious what the Moms here have used with their children, What has shown good results, what has seemed a waste of time. I realize all kids are different and while a program will work great for one and not another. I am just trying to gain a better understanding if how they all differ etc. Thanks!

Lori

by on Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MissyinNJ
by on Feb. 21, 2010 at 11:04 AM

we had prompt for a while, also stuff with blowers, straws, tissue paper in front of the mouth (for the /p/ sound, if it moves), etc.  it depends on the age of the child and how severe they are.

MamaJane
by on Feb. 25, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Severe Apraxia here.  Sign worked the best for us.  We also tried the velcro picture thing (been a long time lol) and it was a waste for us.  We did whistle therapy and that did help with his pursing but it was hard to get him to do  it.

annaica
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 4:36 PM

the kindergarten program he was in used jolly phonics and that made a HUGE difference!!!  he had a severe apraxia diagnosis and went to mild!

cgfairy
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:58 PM

We are new to Apraxia too. My son has been in speech therapy for about 8months now, about 2months ago he had his 6month eval it was then that they told me they think he has apraxia. since then we have been doing a lot of sign and that seems to help him a ton. He has good days and bad, more bad in the past month. His therapist has also put together a communication book with the velcro pics, we don't use it all that much though. For us the ASL is a more handy and ready tool for him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)