Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So does this mean the school is on board?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:48 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 375 Total Views

So, I met some resistance with the school about my sons Apraxia diagnosis.  They agreed he had a significant speech delay but they were thinking his delays were more cognitive.  I didn't agree, but allowed them to do their own testing.  Well apparently, he did great and doesn't have a significant enough cognitive delay to meet disability standards, and now are requesting I bring the paper work showing his Apraxia that Children's Hospital wrote.   I am confused as to why when they re-did his IEP they didn't have the same findings?  Why they are pushing more of a cognitive delay?  At any rate, I am glad that may start listening to me instead of saying "I read too much on the Internet and scared myself"  I think she thought I self-diagnosis, instead of actually having real proof and backup.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
kemclaughlin
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:41 AM

They may not truly understand what apraxia is and decided you must just be crazy.  My daughter has apraxia, but no cognitive delay at all.  My son had a global delay and when he got his tonsils out he started meeting milestones.  He was so far behind I thought he might be a little mentally handicapped.  I was so relieved when he started getting better.  but now I really see the difference in apraxia and cognitive delay. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)