Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New with Questions!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:45 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 300 Total Views

Hello all! I have a few questions and I am hoping you can help!

My son has not yet been diagnosed with apraxia, although his OT and SLP mention tendencies of apraxia from time to time.

My questions for you are:

Who diagnosed your DS or DD with apraxia?

What are your DD or DS's signs that they used to diagnose?

Any other advice or just rambling about your experiences will help!

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 12:02 AM

When my son was 2 I noticed that his friends of the same age were talking and he wasn't.  I approached a teacher at his playgroup and she told me to have a SLP take a look at him.  She tested him and said that CAS (Childhood Apraxia of Speech) was definitely the diagnosis. 

Last year at this time (February 2008) he was diagnosed with CAS and had 6 words.  1 year later, LOTS of speech therapy and early preschool later HE WON'T SHUT UP!!  :-)  He has over 300+ words.  He still goes to speech every week but the progress over the past year has been mind blowing. 

As scary as an Apraxia diagnosis can be, just know that there can be a light at the end of the tunnel with hard work and dedication. 

Good Luck!  If you want to chat, feel free to contact me. 

by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Hi there!

My son Hunter was diagnosed right before he turned 3 so last August. He had been in ST for a month and it was his SLP that made the dx.

The things she used to dx him was just her observations as well as what  I had shared in the evals and what not. Some of the signs were no babbling as an infant, the fact that when he started he only had about maybe 5 words he used, and the difficulty he had with imitation and how he could imitate a word once great and then the next time couldn't do it. Now is vocab has grown a bit (still mostly one syllable words) after his 6 months in therapy as well as starting preschool last October and OT in December.

If you havent already check out for lots of great info

by on Feb. 11, 2009 at 2:49 PM

My daughter was 2 back in October 2008 and the pediatrician felt she was okay. We didn't but let it go. On Jan. 9th she has 2 seizures in one day. At the second hospital ER I was talking to a RN that was a grandmother with a 2 yr old and it confirmed my belief she was not up to age in her speech. So at the follow up appt with the pediatrician for the seizures the DR referred me to a county office for child development. ON Jan 26th Elizabeth had her first evaluation to see if she could get in the program. TODAY Feb 11th she was tested by the therapist again( still no speech therapy has begun). This second test will be used by the school system to evaluate if she will or might be eligible to be taken over by the county school system later.

SO after  this test they officially diagnosed her with Apraxia of Speech. They are assigning her a speech therapist to go to her daycare and a play therapist. The second test was needed to get ready for the county to take her over at age 3. Because of all the paperwork they work 45 days ahead of the birthday to get things ready so it's a smooth transition. We are totally new to all of this .

Lilypie 5th Birthday TickerLilypie 2nd Birthday TickerLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

by on Feb. 11, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Okay, sorry but this is going to be long, lol.  I have a blog to keep up with family/friends and I posted about the apraxia.  Here are some of the highlights, I took it from the apraxia-kids website and my comments are in PURPLE.  This was written back in Nov, one month after he turned 3.

What are Signs or Symptoms?
Of course not all children are going to have every issue listed here.

A Very Young Child

• Does not coo or babble as an infant (We called him "The silent Baby." Nuff Said.)
  • First words are late, and they may be missing sounds (First words came WAY after he was 18 months old)
  • Only a few different consonant and vowel sounds (He uses these few sounds he can make and creates his own words.  He is very 'vowely' so he often leaves off the first letter of a word or omits consonants.)
  • Problems combining sounds; may show long pauses between sounds (He definitely has problems with combining sounds)
  • Simplifies words by replacing difficult sounds with easier ones or by deleting difficult sounds (although all children do this, the child with apraxia of speech does so more often) (He not only deletes problematic sounds but creates new words.)
  • May have problems eating (I would venture to say 6 months of feeding therapy to figure out how to chew constitutes an eating problem.)

An Older Child
Yes, I realize he's not really 'older' yet but he still falls into most of these categories.

• Makes inconsistent sound errors that are not the result of immaturity (he's only 3 so we can still blame some of it on immaturity)
  • Can understand language much better than he or she can talk (There is very little he doesn't understand and he has no problem following multi-step commands.)
  • Has difficulty imitating speech, but imitated speech is more clear than spontaneous speech (Yes & he tries very hard to imitate)
  • May appear to be groping when attempting to produce sounds or to coordinate the lips, tongue, and jaw for purposeful movement (YUP, he makes the cutest faces)
  • Has more difficulty saying longer words or phrases clearly than shorter ones (We're working on getting him to use more 3 word phrases and he's 3 years old!)
  • Appears to have more difficulty when he or she is anxious (You can tell the poor child gets so frustrated sometimes)
  • Is hard to understand, especially for an unfamiliar listener (We joke he's going to need the "Little Man Dictionary" to be able to attend preschool)
  • Sounds choppy, monotonous, or stresses the wrong syllable or word (That would be a good description, esp with certain specific words)

Potential Other Problems

• Weakness of the lips, jaw, and/or tongue
  • Delayed language development
  • Other expressive language problems like word order confusions and word recall
  • Difficulties with fine motor movement/coordination
  • Over sensitive (hypersensitive) or under sensitive (hyposensitive) in their mouths (e.g., may not like toothbrushing or crunchy foods, may not be able to identify an object in their mouth through touch)
  • Children with CAS or other speech problems may have problems when learning to read, spell, and write

Example of words he's made up: the word 'YES' is "Ah-hee" in his world. One thing the can happen is that you'll hear a word and then it will disappear from their vocabulary. The word, 'kitty' is one example of that for us. As is the word, 'yes'. When he first started saying YES he would say, "essssss" and all of a sudden one day he decided it was "Ah-hee."

by on Feb. 11, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Sean has experienced all of the things listed here in your post. Wow! Thank you all for your contributions.

by on Feb. 22, 2009 at 11:25 PM

How much therapy did Grant receive and did they say how severe a case he was?  I'm just asking because my son is 3 and has less than 20 words and goes to therapy 7x/wk. He's the middle of 3 boys and I go to school full time....not sure how much longer I can do this. We may have to drop down his hours of therapy if I don't see an improvement.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)