Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:17 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 247 Total Views

My son is 2.5 and I just recently (within the last month or so) found out that he also has apraxia. He is only talking at an 11 or 12 month level (if that). It seems like every where I turn there are people with kids my sons age or younger that are talking alot better than my son and it makes me want to cry and think "why is my son not talking like that?". Have any of you other ladies felt that way and how did you deal with it if you have?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
emtmomma08
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:29 PM

My son was also diagnosed at 2 1/2 years old. He's now 4.  I still feel that way.  He is just now talking about a 2 year old level.   It's really hard because I know I did EVERYTHING right during my pregnancy and since he's been born.  Then to have this happen.  He also has limb apraxia and Sensory/Auditory Processing Disorders.  So we were dealt a whammy.  I am so tired of hearing "well, it could be worse".  You know what??? This is WORSE enough for me.  I'm sure all mom's with kids that have apraxia have felt this way.  Just remember God gives us these special kids because we are capable of helping them and taking care of them..some people couldn't do it.  Just be there for your child and support him, and he will know he has the BEST MOMMY ever!!!  If you ever need to vent, let me know!

dorfmama
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:34 PM

My daughter has been in speech therapy since she was 2, and was diagnosed with apraxia shortly after that.  When she started therapy, she could say 2 words, and was at a 12 month level for expressive language.  She is now 5 1/2, and her therapist said that if she was re-evaulated at this point, she probably wouldn't even qualify for services.  She talks non-stop.  There are still sounds she has trouble making, but most of those are age appropriate.  Her progress didn't happen overnight, but I found myself celebrating every little new sound that she mastered.  It took her 1 year and 9 months to be able to say "p" at the beginning of words.  Then, it was like she had always been able to do it.  I know it feels totally overwhelming now, but just take it a day at a time and practice, practice, practice.

fle213
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Hey.. There were days when I felt like that.  When my son was first diagnosised 1 month before his 3rd b-day, One of the evaluators told me he would  have a difficult life.  I could not believe someone  could be so cruel.  At that point he maybe said 10 words if that and I usually was the only one who understood what he was saying.  Declan has a sensory Intergrated disorder and Auditory processing as well.  He gets PT and OT still today.  So want some good news.... It gets better... He's now almost 9 his speech is incredible..sure we have tough days as the apraxia not only affects his speech but the processing of all the information and recall. But he's in a reg. education class, gets pulled out for  spelling reading and math, speech, ot and pt.  He has many friends, plays on the soccer league each year..So don't give up, take one day, week, month at a time.  My childs resource teacher's son had the same diagnosis, he's now a succesful adult, graduated from college and most importantly for all our kids HAPPY!! I remember crying 2 years ago at a reading event the class did for the parents, I was so nervous for my son and he got up and read his 4 sentences out loud  and it was amazing.  Some of the teachers that had known him since he was 3 and remembered how he barely said anything was now in front of his peers reading aloud, they had tears in there eyes as well.  God gives us little miracles like that  Don't worry

emtmomma08
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 11:00 PM

Hey Fle...you just gave me some hope with your reply.  We had my son's IEP meeting today and to see everything written on paper just really got to me.  He is 4 yrs and 5 months but at a 2 yr 4 month level.  The percentage of his testing was at 60% and by Kindergarten he has to score a 70% or he will be classified as "mentally handicapped".  To hear those words absolutely devastated me. I have cried for hours tonight just thinking about it. I know we have another year and a half to work on it, but you always think "what if?". 

Thank you for encouraging us moms with Apraxic kids!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)